Picks of the week: Move to the music

Joe Parks/Creative Commons

Although summer is notorious for music festivals, going to a festival is definitely not the only way to enjoy some hot tunes under the summer sun. Whether you’re jamming with your headphones on or checking out some musical YouTubers (online or in person), our picks of the week will have you singing and dancing your way through summer.

Any time: Todrick Hall’s “Evolution of Disney”

If you’re a Disney lover, then Todrick Hall’s one-man masterpiece will be the soundtrack to your week. From Disney classics such as “Snow White” to Disney Channel original movies such as “High School Musical,” Todrick condenses decades of Disney magic in this six-minute medley that is sure to have you whistling while you work.

Thursday: Birds of Chicago and Out on the Frontier at the UC Botanical Garden

The Redwood Grove Summer Concert Series is back at the UC Botanical Garden. The concert series began in June and will be held weekly on Thursdays through Aug. 27. Tickets should be purchased in advance and also include admission to the garden before 4:30 p.m. On Thursday, check out husband-and-wife duo Birds of Chicago and the American Western band Out on the Frontier as they perform amid the majestic redwoods.

Friday: Scott Bradlee’s Postmodern Jukebox at the Regency Ballroom

The viral sensation that’s been turning pop hits into jazz, swing and ragtime standards is hitting the stage at the Regency Ballroom. Start off your weekend with a classy cover of “All About That Bass,” then go home and binge watch all the group’s stellar covers on YouTube. Seriously, they’re timeless. Tickets are available here.

Friday: Silent disco celebrating the 100th anniversary of San Francisco City Hall

Have you ever put on a pair of headphones and rocked out alone in your room? Imagine doing just that but with hundreds of other people. That is exactly what a silent disco is: Participants are given headphones that stream the same music and dance like nobody’s watching! (Even though everyone is watching.) This silent disco is being held as part of the larger celebration of the 100th anniversary and re-lighting of San Francisco City Hall, which includes more than a dozen free performances and food trucks from Off the Grid. So whether you’re down to dance or just want to see other people get down in silence, this event is sure to be one for the books.

Rosemarie Alejandrino is the assistant arts & entertainment editor. Contact her at [email protected].