Picks of the week: 4th of July fun

The U.S. Army/Creative Commons

Any time: “Made in the USA” by Demi Lovato

If you’re looking for another pseudo-patriotic pop song to play between “Party in the U.S.A.” dance breaks, then check out this underrated anthem by another former Disney star. The lyrics make it a classic summer jam, and the national name-dropping makes it worthy of adding to the soundtrack to your July 4 weekend: “Our love runs deep like a Chevy / If you fall, I’ll fall with you baby… / Our love was made, made in the U.S.A.”

Saturday: 4th of July Celebration at the Pier in San Francisco

In partnership with Discovery Networks’ upcoming Shark Week, Pier 39 will be celebrating
“Findependence” Day — a fun family affair starting at noon. There will be live music on the pier and a chance to take photos in the official Shark Week photo booth. End the evening with a local favorite: fireworks over the San Francisco Bay, starting 9:30 p.m.

Saturday: Fireworks at the Berkeley Marina

Take the 51B bus down to the Berkeley Marina and celebrate with a fun-filled day of events. With diverse live entertainment — from the Afrofunk Experience to comedy juggler Frisco Fred — the city of Berkeley’s Independence Day party is sure to have something for everyone. The celebration ends with the traditional fireworks show over the marina, starting 9:35 p.m.

Saturday – Sunday: Fillmore Jazz Festival

The largest free jazz festival on the West Coast is back this July 4 weekend, celebrating decades of jazz culture, food and performance. The event takes place on Fillmore Street between Jackson and Eddy streets — with three stages and nearly two dozen performers — from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., rain or shine. Whether you’re a jazz connoisseur or just learning to tickle the ivory keys, the Fillmore Jazz Festival is a unique way to spend Independence Day weekend.

Rosemarie Alejandrino is the assistant arts & entertainment editor. Contact her at [email protected].