BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Fire thought to be caused by barbecue burns fence, deck of residence

article image

MITZI PEREZ | STAFF

SUPPORT OUR NONPROFIT NEWSROOM

We're an independent student-run newspaper, and need your support to maintain our coverage.

|

Staff

JULY 05, 2015

A fire that burned a fence and deck Sunday morning caused an estimated $25,000 worth of property damage to a residence south of the Berkeley campus, authorities said.

Berkeley Fire Department dispatched four engines to 2130 Haste St. at 8:23 a.m. in response to the one-alarm fire, according to BFD Battalion Chief Paul Cavagnaro. There appeared to be five college students living in the two-story residence, he said.

An officer from Berkeley Police Department reported a column of smoke from the residence and thought it was a barbecue, Cavagnaro said. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.

No injuries were reported, and the fire was under control within 20 minutes, Cavagnaro said.

Contact Amy Jiang at 

LAST UPDATED

JULY 05, 2015


Related Articles

No injuries were reported, but Webb said the building suffered an estimated $50,000 in damages, both from the fire itself and from firefighters’ efforts to reach and extinguish the flames.
No injuries were reported, but Webb said the building suffered an estimated $50,000 in damages, both from the fire itself and from firefighters’ efforts to reach and extinguish the flames.
A two-alarm fire Monday morning caused partial damage to a residence near the North Berkeley BART station.
A two-alarm fire Monday morning caused partial damage to a residence near the North Berkeley BART station.
featured article
A single-alarm fire early Sunday morning in North Berkeley prompted the evacuation of an apartment complex. The fire started in an elevator equipment room at 1515 Walnut Street, which caused smoke to come up the elevator shaft.
A single-alarm fire early Sunday morning in North Berkeley prompted the evacuation of an apartment complex. The fire started in an elevator equipment room at 1515 Walnut Street, which caused smoke to come up the elevator shaft.
featured article