Carly Childs wins NCGA Women’s Championship in preparation for 2015-16 season

Regardless of age and generational differences, it is safe to say it is typically a nuisance to siblings when their accomplishments are compared. Carly Childs of the Cal women’s golf team, however, left everyone no choice but to compare her to her sister, Emily — a Cal alumna who also played on the team. This is because Carly emerged victorious last month in the very same tournament her sister won in 2010, the NCGA Women’s Championship, held at the Spyglass Hill Golf Course in Pebble Beach, California..

Childs built a solid foundation in the tournament’s first round, carding a birdie in the first hole to go one under. The senior followed this up by shooting  par up until the fifth hole, where she shot another birdie. As the round progressed, she hit a bit of trouble at the eighth, ninth and 10th holes. She shot three straight bogeys, which took her from two under to one over par. The 13th to 16th holes saw her slowly improve her score, as she carded three birdies to overcome her 14th hole bogey. The senior capped off the round by shooting par in the 18th hole — an improvement from her bogey in the 17th hole — to finish with a 73 (E).

In the second round, this time contested at Pebble Beach’s Poppy Hills Golf Course, Childs started off strongly by carding consecutive pars. She was seemingly ready to run into problems in the middle of the round again when she bogeyed the ninth hole. The senior quickly retaliated with a birdie in the 10th hole and ended her round by shooting a sequence of mostly pars to card a 73 (+1). She ultimately finished the tournament with a total score of 73-73=146 (+1) and secured the NCGA Women’s Championship.

“It feels good. … I was consistent, and I putted really well,” Childs said to the Northern California Golf Association after her victory. “I just felt confident. I was completely focused on my game.”

Childs proved her worth against several of the talented golfers California has to offer, including UC Irvine alumna Sara Banke, who finished three strokes behind Childs. The former UCI standout won the California State Women’s Amateur Golf Championship in 2014.

Childs’ victory is a huge step for her as she spends the summer preparing for the coming season. In the 2014-15 season, the then-junior competed at every regular- and post-season tournament, and her latest individual achievement will surely not go unnoticed by head coach Nancy McDaniel as she considers which five players to include in the lineup for her team’s opening season tournament.

Incoming recruits normally present a threat to the current roster’s opportunity to feature in the lineup. Childs will likely shrug off the aspiring recruits’ challenge, as she’ll instead continue to focus on being prepared to tee off against her new teammates during qualifying rounds.

She has competed at every opening season tournament since she joined Cal, and if she continues displaying impressive performances on the course, her streak should go unblemished. More importantly, Childs’ strong form will help her contend for her usual spot in the lineup and will help ensure that she doesn’t get lost in the shuffle of new recruits as the season progresses.

Manny Flores is the assistant sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @manny_0.