Picks of the week: Fronted by females

Alexis Keenan/Courtesy

Legendary feminist collective Guerrila Girls released statistics in 2012 that at the Metropolitan Museum in New York, “less than 4% of artists in the Modern Art section are women, but 76% of the nudes are female.” That is why this week, we’re encouraging you to indulge in art that puts female creatives in the forefront. This week’s picks are all art that is created by women, from theater to music criticism to music itself.

Anytime: “The First Collection of Criticism by a Living Female Rock Critic” by Jessica Hopper

Jessica Hopper, senior editor at Pitchfork and editor in chief at the Pitchfork Review, has released her first book, “The First Collection of Criticism by a Living Female Rock Critic.” In it, she writes, “Men writing songs about women is practically the definition of rock ’n’ roll.” And even more than that, men writing essays about other men writing songs about women is practically the definition of rock criticism: something that, with her work, Hopper is trying to change. Writing on topics as varied as gender politics in emo music, Miley Cyrus and R. Kelly’s sordid past with its ties to sexual coercion, and abuse of minors, Hopper’s work is varied and, at its best, deeply powerful. As a critic, Hopper may not be the voice of a generation, but her voice might very well inspire one.

Thursday: “Black Virgins Are Not for Hipsters” at the Marsh Theatre in San Francisco

Echo Brown’s one-woman show that explores racial dynamics and politics in America is nothing if not eye-catchingly titled. Met with rave reviews from the San Francisco Chronicle (“delightfully intriguing”), KQED (“An alternately intoxicating and sobering whirlwind of a show”) and more, “Black Virgins Are Not for Hipsters” promises humor, politics and performance. “Black Virgins Are Not for Hipsters” is playing through Sept. 12 on Thursdays at 8 p.m. and Saturdays at 8.30 p.m.

Friday: AC/DShe at the Chapel in San Francisco

After something a little noisy and easy to dance to? Try checking out AC/DShe — the all-female tribute band to AC/DC’s Bon Scott era — at the Chapel on Friday night. Dressing like, sounding like and playing like its heroes, San Francisco’s AC/DShe is here to challenge conventions about classic rock and to dispel any notions anyone might have ever had about men rocking harder than women.

Saturday: “SKETCH 5 | Stirred” at the ODC Theatre in San Francisco

If you’d rather watch people move their bodies than move yours, perhaps choreographer Amy Seiwert’s presentation of “SKETCH 5 | Stirred” is more up your alley. Part of a series “created to foster risk and innovation in ballet based choreography,” according to its website SKETCH 5 | Stirred offers a “type of collaboration (that) is extremely rare in ballet” — definitely something you don’t want to miss if you’re a dance fan. “SKETCH 5 | Stirred” runs at the ODC Theatre in San Francisco from Thursday to Saturday at 8 p.m. and closes Sunday with a 7 p.m. show.

Contact Tyler Allen at [email protected].