Picks of the week: Best of the Bay

Shaun Roberts/Hashimoto Contemporary/Courtesy

The city of Berkeley has a lot to offer, but the world of arts and entertainment extends far beyond the city limits. This week, check out these San Francisco and Oakland events for a taste of the best of the Bay Area.

Any time: “Honeymoon” by Lana Del Rey

“Honeymoon” is the new single from Lana Del Rey’s forthcoming album of the same name. The album won’t be released until September, so if you need your fix of Del Rey’s signature crooning in the meantime, be sure to give “Honeymoon” a listen. With lyrics such as, “We both know that it’s not fashionable to love me / But you don’t go, ’cause truly, there’s nobody for you but me,” the song reminds us why Del Rey’s brooding songwriting simply can’t be beat.

Thursday: “Dope” at the New Parkway Theater

If you haven’t been to the New Parkway Theater in Oakland, now is your chance. Catch Thursday’s screening of “Dope,” a Sundance Film Festival favorite that follows three high school seniors as they navigate life in their Inglewood, California, neighborhood. The New Parkway describes itself as a “picture pizza pub”: Patrons can purchase top-notch food and drinks to enjoy while watching films in a comfortable, community-oriented setting.

Friday: Summer Group Show at Hashimoto Contemporary

Hashimoto Contemporary’s first summer group exhibition closes Saturday, so stop by the San Francisco gallery between noon and 6 p.m. to check out works by artists working in various media, including painting, sculpture, textiles and installation art. The cozy gallery hosts some of the best solo shows in San Francisco, so the summer group show is sure to delight visitors looking for a little visual stimulation.

Saturday: Chill n Grill

Looking to spend some time outdoors? Head to Lakeside Park in Oakland on Saturday for Chill n Grill, an afternoon of music hosted by the Oakland Music Festival. Featured musicians include DJ Bobby Peru, Azure and DJ Aux Cord. The event will take place from 2 to 5 p.m., and food will be served from 3 to 5 p.m., so if you’re looking to bask in the Saturday sun and get your fill of food and music, Chill n Grill promises a good time.

Sunday: San Francisco Ballet at the Stern Grove Festival

End your week with an afternoon at the Stern Grove Festival in San Francisco. Sunday’s program begins 2 p.m. and features a selection of works by the San Francisco Ballet, including excerpts from Tchaikovsky’s “Theme and Variations.” Admission is free, so dance experts and dilettantes alike should be sure to stop by.

Sarah E. Adler is the arts & entertainment editor. Contact her at [email protected].