BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Picks of the week: Blasts from the past

UNITED ARTISTS | CREATIVE COMMONS

JULY 27, 2015

Who says newer means better? This week, take the time to revisit some of the best music, cinema and visual art from centuries gone by. After all, they’re called classics for a reason.

Any time: “I Remain: A digital archive of letters, manuscripts, and ephemera

Ever wondered about Albert Einstein’s personal correspondence? What about Thomas Jefferson’s or Marie Curie’s? Maybe Babe Ruth’s or Charles Dickens’? On “I Remain,” a digital archive hosted by Lehigh University, you can browse correspondence, manuscripts and written materials belonging to these historical heavyweights and many more. The site is free to access and contains materials in a range of categories, from records of daily life to politics, travel, science and the arts.

Tuesday – Sunday: J.M.W. Turner: Painting Set Free

J.M.W. Turner (1775 – 1851) was an English painter whose Romanticist oil paintings and watercolors are regarded as the stylistic predecessors of Impressionism. Often referred to as “the painter of light,” Turner is particularly renown for his masterful landscapes. A collection of Turner’s works is now on view at the De Young Museum in San Francisco until Sept. 20. The museum is open Tuesday through Sunday, so head on over, and remember to bring your student ID for a discount on admission.

Friday and Saturday: UC Berkeley Summer Symphony

The UC Berkeley Summer Symphony will tackle classical composers Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky and Shostakovich in two performances Friday and Saturday at UC Berkeley’s Hertz Hall. The full-sized orchestra features student conductors and includes musicians from UC Berkeley, Cal State East Bay, the San Francisco Conservatory, and the Oakland and San Francisco youth orchestras. Both concerts begin 8 p.m. Admission is free.

Saturday and Sunday: Pacific Film Archive Theater’s closing celebration

Celebrate the Pacific Film Archive Theater’s final weekend with a series of special screenings that include classic films such as Charlie Chaplin’s “City Lights” (1931), Vittorio de Sica’s “Bicycle Thieves” (1948) and Yasuziro Ozu’s “Tokyo Story” (1953). Screenings might sell out, so buy your tickets in advance and prepare to bid farewell to the PFA Theater as you take a tour of the best that classic cinema has to offer.

Contact Sarah Elizabeth Adler at 

JULY 26, 2015