BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

UC payroll data show lack of top-paid women, lag behind market rates

JULY 29, 2015

The University of California released annual payroll data for 2014 on Tuesday, indicating a continued lack of women in high-paid positions and a growth in the percentage of payroll going to managers.

UC compensation also continues to lag behind the market as a result of declining state support — a fact that threatens to pose problems for attracting high-performing faculty and staff, according to the UC payroll report.

The payroll data were made available in an online searchable database and included part-time, temporary and student employees in addition to full-time faculty and staff across the campuses, athletic programs and medical centers.

The 10 highest-paid employees in the UC system included head coaches and medical faculty or staff — similar to those in 2013 — with an average gross pay of slightly more than $2 million.

UC Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks had a base pay of $492,885, up from $486,800 the year before. UC President Janet Napolitano’s base pay was $570,000, unchanged from the year before.

“We do this every year because we believe it’s important to be transparent,” said UC spokesperson Dianne Klein.

A shifting payroll burden

Over the past six years, pay to faculty has been decreasing, while pay to management has been increasing, each as a percentage of the total payroll dollars the university metes out each year.

In 2009, teaching faculty composed 12.5 percent of the total UC payroll, and management composed 5.5 percent. By 2014, faculty had decreased to 11.4 percent of the payroll, while management increased to 6 percent, according to the payroll data.

Over those six years, total pay to teaching faculty increased about 16.7 percent, while total pay to the management group increased by 37.8 percent.

Women still lag at top

The university faces a more stark absence of women among its top-paid employees, with fewer women in the top 50 highest-paid places in 2014 than in the previous two years.

Three of the 50 highest-paid UC employees were women — one less than in 2013 and two less than in 2012. At UC Berkeley, seven of the 50 highest-paid employees were women — the same as in 2013 but three less than in 2012.

The highest-paid woman in the UC system was Liau Linda, director of UCLA’s Brain Tumor Program, who made $1,010,374. At UC Berkeley, the highest-paid woman was athletic director Sandy Barbour, who made $634,305 in 2014.

Growing health services

Of the 20 professors earning more than $1 million in 2014, all were connected to their campus’s medical school or center, and most were at UCLA.

The percentage of payroll to health-care and related staff has increased steadily over the past eight years, from 19.4 percent of the total payroll in 2006 to 23.7 percent in 2014, and up 1.1 percent from 2013. According to a report by Institutional Research and Academic Planning, since 2007, UC teaching hospitals have experienced proportionally greater growth compared with that of the UC campuses.

Contact Abdullah Mirza at 

JULY 30, 2015