Marthe Wold of Cal women’s golf claims 1st place at Norwegian Individual Championships

GoldenBearSports.com/Courtesy

It seems that the Cal women’s golf team may have truly found itself some gold in Marthe Wold because the rising sophomore placed first at the Norwegian Individual Championships, which ended Aug. 2.

The Norwegian kicked off her 72-hole tournament campaign at the Borre Golfklubb in Horten, Norway, with a strong first-round performance. She recorded a bogey at the third hole, which didn’t seem to hinder her composure, as she shot par on the majority of the fourth to 18th holes while also notching three birdies along the way. Her fine form proved to be enough to card a 71(-2) in the opening round.

In the second round, Wold got off to a great start, shooting back-to-back birdies at the first and second holes. Unfortunately for her, she was unable to follow up with another birdie in the third hole to complete the three-peat, as she instead bogeyed the hole again. Just when it seemed that Wold was getting back on track, she picked up another bogey, this time at the seventh hole. The Norwegian, however, didn’t let the bogey deter her progress any further, as indicated by her birdie at the eighth hole, which she then followed up with mostly pars on the ninth to 18th holes. In spite of the triple bogey that she carded on the 17th hole, Wold managed to finish the round with a 74(+1).

The rising sophomore then displayed her best performance at the tournament in the third round, where she didn’t pick up a single bogey or double bogey. The four birdies and 14 pars that she shot allowed her to card a 69(-4), which proved to be decisive in getting her one step closer to wrapping up the tournament with individual medalist honors.

By the time that Wold teed off the fourth round, there likely wasn’t too much of a doubt about who would take home the top honor.  She started off the final round by shooting par at the first and second holes and then picked up a double bogey at the third hole, but the blemish didn’t matter much at that point. She quickly regained her focus, as she shot three birdies at the fourth, seventh and eighth holes. From there, Wold cruised to a 70(-3) score, which ultimately helped her win her first Norwegian Individual Championship with a 284(-8). The Norwegian was so good at the tournament that she placed eight strokes ahead of second-place competitor Renate Hjelle Grimstad and nine strokes ahead of defending champion Mariell Bruun.

“I was nervous at the start of the round, but I calmed down as soon as I made my first birdie,” Wold said to Cal Athletics after becoming the champion.

Wold’s latest tournament victory now seems to have her primed to comfortably secure her spot in next season’s tournament lineup, where she will likely feature alongside rising juniors Lucia Gutierrez and Alice Jeong. The 2014-15 season is set to begin next month, but in the meantime, the Norwegian will have the opportunity to celebrate winning one of the biggest tournaments of her career on home soil.

Manny Flores is the assistant sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @manny_0.