Picks of the week: Back to school basics

Andrew Paynter/Courtesy

The first week of school is mostly for awkward introductions and passing out syllabuses. Nonetheless, treat yourself with these fun (and somewhat educational) events before the onslaught of work consumes you.

Thursday: Multitudes, an exhibition of paintings by Andres Waissman

Attention philosophers and visual arts enthusiasts: Philosophy and politics intersect in the works of Argentine visual artist Andres Waissman. Honored with a book and PBS documentary, Waissman is a high-profile name in the contemporary art world. The opening reception for his exhibition will take place at the Geballe Room in 220 Stephens Hall at 5 p.m., and the exhibition will run through Dec. 18.

Friday: ASUC SUPERB and Toro Y Moi

If you haven’t already heard the news, indie-electronica artist Toro Y Moi is playing at ASUC SUPERB’s first concert of the year. Toro Y Moi, otherwise known Chaz Bundick, is known for being one of the trailblazers of the chillwave movement. Based in Berkeley, Bundick has played for major festivals such as Coachella and Pitchfork Music Festival. Wrap up the first week of school with some chill tunes. Be there or be square!

Saturday: It’s Alive! A Frankenstein Day Celebration

How does one celebrate Mary Shelley’s 218th birthday? With a Frankenstein Day Celebration, of course! The event, which will take place at the north branch of the Berkeley Public Library, will include refreshments and a talk with the Exploratorium’s Stephanie Stewart Bailey about reanimation ethics and history. Also, there will be real human brains on display and copies of “Frankenstein” to borrow. Spooky!

Saturday: Saturday Stroll at Oakland Art Murmur

Start off the first school weekend by visiting Oakland Art Murmur, or OAM, a collection of more than 40 galleries throughout Oakland. Saturday Stroll takes place every Saturday from 1-5 p.m., when most of the galleries are open. It is a quieter alternative to OAM’s First Fridays, but many galleries still host activities such as artist talks and screenings. Check out recent exhibits such as [email protected]’s “Workings of the Brain” and the New Parkway Theater’s “Self and Other.”

Contact Stacey Nguyen at [email protected].