Sam Davis, campus professor emeritus of architecture, appointed as retirement liasion

A UC Berkeley professor emeritus has been appointed to the position of the retirement liaison for campus faculty.

Sam Davis, professor emeritus in the department of architecture, assumed the newly created position at the beginning of August. Through his new position, Davis will provide “assistance in negotiating pre- and post-retirement arrangements” for faculty, according to an email sent to campus administrators Aug. 17.

Additionally, he will assist with negotiating the campus Pathway to Retirement option, an agreement that allows retirees access to certain provisions after retirement, which could include the use of campus offices and research space.

“Like most life changes, retirement is a process. This is particularly true for faculty as many want to remain involved in campus life and continue to be engaged with students,” Davis said in a statement via email. “I see my role as a partner in this process and in helping to develop a personalized plan that includes the years before and after one has established a retirement date.”

Davis joined the campus faculty in 1971 after graduating from both the schools of architecture at both UC Berkeley and Yale University, and taught at UC Berkeley for 38 years. He has won numerous teaching awards, including UC Berkeley’s Distinguished Teaching Award and the Excellence in Education Award from the California Council of the American Institute of Architects.

After his retirement, he served as the interim dean of the campus School of Social Welfare and previously served in the same position in the campus College of Environmental Design.

In his role, Davis works with the associate vice provost for the faculty’s office and the UC Berkeley Retirement Center to support faculty through their transition to retirement, said campus spokesperson Janet Gilmore. She added that they hope many faculty members will continue to contribute their expertise in support of the University of California’s mission after they’ve retired.

The retirement center, under the office of the vice provost for faculty, aims to help retired faculty, staff and their families — as well as active faculty and staff — plan and manage their retirement. The center collaborates with several campus organizations — such as the UC Retirees’ Association at Berkeley and the UC Berkeley Emeriti Association — to advocate for retirees and coordinate social events.

Davis, who headed his own architecture firm, has also worked with various shelters catering to the homeless in the Bay Area.

Both the Lark-Inn, an “over-age” emergency clinic catering to individuals ages 18 to 24, and the Diamond Youth Shelter in San Francisco were designed by Davis’ firm and are still in operation in their original locations, according to Kathleen Stavis, communications manager at the Larkin Street Youth Services.

He previously authored a book on designing structures for the homeless, which was was published by UC Press, and won a Guggenheim Memorial Foundation fellowship for related work.

Contact Adrienne Shih and Alex Barreira at [email protected].