Candy making: chocolate-covered sea-salted caramels

Martha Morrissey/Staff

I decided to get fancy with baking, so I made sea-salted chocolate-covered caramels. While, sadly, the caramels didn’t turn out picture perfect, they still tasted amazing! Appearance fail, but taste win. Just a warning, maybe you shouldn’t Instagram this one.

What you will need: 

Equipment

Measuring cups

Two saucepans (a large one, and a small one that fits inside)

Wooden spoon

Candy thermometer

Parchment paper

Knife

Cutting board

9″ x 5″ pan

Cooking spray

Ingredients

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup corn syrup

1/2 pound dark chocolate

Sea salt (enough to garnish)

3 tablespoons water

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter

What you will do: 

1. Line the 9″ x 5″ pan with parchment paper. Then, spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. In a microwave safe bowl, melt 1/2 cup of butter and cream. Stir, then set aside.
  3. In the small saucepan over medium heat, combine the corn syrup, water and sugar.
  4. Once the mixture is boiling, cover with the lid for one minute.
  5. Remove lid and attach candy thermometer. Watch carefully until the temperature reads 230 degrees Celsius. This should take five to 10 minutes. At this time, the edges of the mixture will turn brown.
  6. Gradually add the butter and cream mixture while stirring so it doesn’t bubble over the sides of the pan (this will lower the mixture’s temperature).
  7. Cook until the mixture is between 240 degrees and 245 degrees, depending on your desired softness level. The hotter the temperature, the firmer the caramel.
  8. Immediately remove from heat and pour into pan.
  9. Allow caramel to cool and set for about four hours. You might need to place it in the fridge for 30 to 45 minutes before cutting.
  10. Cut into your desired shapes and sizes! (If the process has exhausted you and you want to bail and just have caramel, now’s your chance.)
  11. Using a double-boiling method, melt the chocolate and the two tablespoons of butter. The larger sauce pan should hold boiling water and the smaller sauce pan should rest on top and hold the butter and chocolate.
  12. Once the chocolate is melted, remove from heat.
  13. Using a fork, dip the caramels into the chocolate and then place them on parchment paper.
  14. Lightly sprinkle with sea salt.
  15. Place in the fridge to allow the chocolate to cool and then enjoy!

Contact Martha Morrissey at [email protected].