Apartment Cooking 101: an egg-cellent breakfast

Alvaro Azcarraga/Staff

Since you were in elementary school, you’ve been hearing about how breakfast is the most important meal of the day. When you lived in the dorms, making it to class on time was enough of a struggle and going to the dining halls for a sit-down breakfast during the week just wasn’t an option. Maybe living in an apartment has inspired you to try to eat three solid meals a day, or maybe you’re starting to feel the adverse effects of not eating breakfast on a daily basis. Either way, we at the Clog have some ideas to get your day off to an egg-cellent start based on how many minutes of your morning you want to dedicate to making breakfast.

Egg frittatas  5 minutes

If your requirement for breakfast is that it must be eaten on the go then you should find time to prep for breakfast the day before. Try making mini egg frittatas! This recipe makes enough mini frittatas for the first half of the week. So store whatever you don’t immediately eat in an air tight container in the refrigerator and enjoy it later.

What you’ll need:

Muffin tray

Cooking spray

Bowl

Pan

Knife

Cutting board

Six eggs

Vegetables: spinach, mushrooms and peppers.

What you’ll do:

1. In a bowl crack and beat the eggs
  2. Sauté the vegetables over medium heat
  3. Combine eggs and vegetables
  4. Pour mixture evenly into the muffin pan
  5. Cook for 15 minutes at 350 degrees
  6. Use a knife or fork to make sure that the centers are firm and thoroughly cooked

Scrambled eggs — 10 minutes

Instead of cereal or toast, try scrambled eggs for some protein! Scrambled eggs are basically the easiest egg dish to make. Especially as the weather gets colder, who wants to eat cereal?

What you’ll need:

Two eggs

Salt/pepper

Bowl

Small pan

Cooking spray/oil

What you’ll do:

1. Crack the eggs in the bowl and whisk with a fork
  2. Light spray the pan with cooking spray
  3. With the heat on medium, pour the eggs into the pan and mix with a wooden spoon until they are thoroughly cooked and fluffy
  4. Top with salt and pepper

Omelet — 20 minutes 

So you’re going to try the whole being a morning person, good for you! You want to have a relaxing breakfast sitting at the table reading your favorite newspaper  — The Daily Californian, of course. We suggest making an omelet!

What you’ll need:

Cutting board

Knife

Olive/coconut oil

Skillet

Bowl

Spatula

Two to three eggs

Favorite vegetables such as tomatoes, spinach, onion, peppers and mushrooms

Cheese (optional)

Avocado (optional)

What you’ll do:

1. Crack and beat the eggs in a bowl
  2. Heat the oil in the skillet
  3. Chop up vegetables and sauté over medium heat — be careful not to go too crazy with the amount of vegetables. You want to make sure they will be enveloped by the eggs
  4. Pour eggs over the vegetables
  5. Allow eggs to start cooking, once the eggs are less runny you can sprinkle some cheese
  6. Let cook for two more minutes
  7. Fold both edges of the omelet into the center
  8. Flip over, cook for one more minute then slide onto plate
  9. Top with avocado and enjoy!

If the flipping or folding process doesn’t exactly work out, don’t worry! You can salvage you breakfast by making a scramble just as you would for scrambled eggs, but now there are vegetables.

Contact Martha Morrissey at [email protected].