How to find the good in a bad day

Maggie Soun/File
Maggie Soun/File

Now that we’re a few weeks into the fall semester, school and life are starting to pick up the pace. It’s no walk in the park trying to keep up! We’re getting more midterms, less sleep, too much stress and not enough fun. We can’t really complain about going to the No. 1 public university in the world, but sometimes bad days just happen. Whether you’re drowning in academic stress or trying to get through personal struggles, we at the Clog are here for you. Any day can be a good day, even the bad days. Here are a few ways to turn your day around.

Treat yourself!

If your day just isn’t going the way you wanted, balance it out by taking care of what’s in your power to change. Go thrifting and do some retail therapy, order a large frappe instead of a small or get your favorite food for dinner. There’s nothing wrong with spoiling yourself sometimes. And remember, it’s the little things that count.

Surround yourself with good people.

On top of adding your favorite food to your less-than-favorable day, bring your favorite people into your life. Hang out with your friends — who love you very much — or FaceTime your friends and family back at home. Whether you need someone to vent your struggles to or are just looking for laughter and good conversation, it’s important to remind yourself that there’ll always be people there for you.

Do something you love.

When you’re having a bad day, you can’t control everything that happens to you. It’s not like you can avoid taking your midterm — well you can, but let’s be real, you probably won’t. Even though we’re forced to do things we don’t always enjoy (responsibilities are so needy), we do have the choice to do things we love. Take a dance break, go workout, listen to good music — whatever it is, make time to do the things that make you happy.

Look at the big picture.

Sometimes we get so wrapped up in everything that’s going wrong, that we forget all the things that are going right. Like Kanye West once said, “The good outweighs the bad even on your worst day.” Appreciate the small things, because no matter how much of a mess you think your life is, in the grand scheme of things, you’re doing okay.

Remind yourself that sometimes it’s okay to not be okay.

Yeah, the big picture usually does look better, but you can’t exactly ignore what’s right in front of you. Everyone has a bad day, even Beyonce — we think. Bad days remind us how good the good days are. If every day were a good day, nothing would be special.

Bad days are kind of like that person in your friend circle who annoys you, but for some reason you keep them around, which means there must be some good in them. There’s always a silver lining, you just have to know where to look for it.

Contact Rayanne Piaña at [email protected].