A week in events: 10/5-10/9

Sean Goebel/File

Around this time in the semester, it’s easy to become so entrenched in schoolwork and the midterm daze that we forget that there is, in fact, life outside of class. Not only is there life, but Berkeley is always throwing down some truly righteous events. From guest speakers to concerts to cultural gatherings to events with free food, you’re bound to find something you’re into. All you’ve got to do is look! Below, we at the Clog have listed just a few of the cool events happening this week in Berkeley.

Monday, Oct. 5

• The Zen of Galaxies, 12 p.m. in 131A Campbell Hall. Listen to University of California, Santa Cruz professor John Forbes discuss a revolution in current galaxy theory. Spooky, and free.

Tuesday, Oct. 6

• Pet hugs on Sproul, 12-1 p.m. on Sproul Plaza. Come get your much-needed dog fix with these fluffy friends from the Tony La Russa’s Animal Rescue Foundation. Free.
  • Environmental Coalition (ECO) Meeting, 7-8:30 p.m. in 106 Wheeler. Join UC Berkeley’s Environmental and Sustainability Student Organizations at the first of their two October meetings. Free.
  • Big Queer Event: a Night of Free Food, New Friends and Fun! 6-9 p.m. at the Anna Head Alumnae Hall. The event is sponsored by the  Queer Alliance and Resource Center, LEAD Center and Gender Equity and Resource Center. Free.

Wednesday, Oct. 7

• Excellent Sheep: the Miseducation of the American Elite, 12-1 p.m. in 300 Wheeler Hall. Listen to former Yale University professor and author of “Excellent Sheep” discuss the flaws of the American educational conveyor belt. Free.

Thursday, Oct. 8

• Garden Tour: Crops of the World Collection, 1-2:30 p.m. at the UC Botanical Garden. Take a tour of the garden’s New World Collection with horticulturist Ken Bates. Free.
  • North Berkeley Farmers’ Market, 3-7 p.m. at 2530 San Pablo Ave. Check out this weekly farmers’ market, an alternative to the one on Center Street. Free.
  • Climate Change in Global and US National Parks, 12-1 p.m. in 132 Mulford. Come listen to Patrick Gonzales, the principle climate change scientist of the U.S. National Parks Service, discuss climate change in the national parks in this ESPM seminar. Free.

Friday, Oct. 9

• From Caitlyn Jenner to Rachel Dolezal: the Social Construction of Race and Gender, 4-6 p.m. at Boalt Law School. Head over to the Warren Room 295, in Boalt Hall, to witness this panel on the fluidity of self-identity. Free.
  • Mill Valley Film Festival, Oct. 8 to 18 in Mill Valley, Marin County. Come check out this annual film festival presented by the California Film Institute. Tickets cost $9 to $13.50.

Contact Christina Fossum at [email protected].