Marcy removed from position as adjunct professor at San Francisco State University

After his resignation from UC Berkeley was accepted Wednesday amid sexual harassment allegations, Geoffrey Marcy, a former faculty member of the campus astronomy department, has been removed from his position as an adjunct professor at San Francisco State University.

The SFSU department of physics and astronomy released a statement the day of his resignation from UC Berkeley, expressing disappointment about Marcy’s behavior and professing commitment to preventing sexual harassment and all other forms of discrimination.

Marcy taught at SFSU for 15 years between 1984 and 1999, and held the title of honorific adjunct professor from 1999 to 2015. Marcy did not teach classes as an adjunct professor but was given special privileges by SFSU, including full access to campus facilities and a university Web page and email.

In response to the incident, SFSU faculty plan to stress student awareness of Title IX rights and increase access to resources for victims of sexual misconduct, according to Stephen Kane, an assistant professor in the SFSU physics and astronomy department.

“The worst-case scenario would be that something happened to a student and they didn’t know what to do, so they did nothing,” Kane said. “We want to make sure that never ever happens and that students can feel comfortable here.”

On Saturday, the Santa Cruz Sentinel reported that two women, both former students of Marcy, said in interviews that they were discouraged by campus officials from filing formal complaints regarding his sexual misconduct in the mid-1990s.

“This whole incident has caused people to question whether he had incidents when he taught at San Francisco State,” Kane said.

According to an email from Adrianne Bee, the SFSU interim associate vice president, SFSU administration has yet to locate any documentation of these complaints, and the time frame of the incidents extends beyond California State University records’ retention policy.

Contact Jessica Lynn at [email protected].