Here at UC Berkeley, most of the students have a huge sweet tooth — but this simple vegan snowball cookie recipe, also known as “Mexican wedding cookies” satisfies all our sugar cravings. It only requires four ingredients to make and each powdery, delectable bite melts in your mouth.
2 cups flour
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, almonds or cashews
1 cup Earth Balance (vegan-friendly butter)
1/2 cup powdered sugar for dough mixture and 1 more cup for rolling cookies in after baking
What you’ll do:
1. Preheat oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine butter spread and powdered sugar. Beat using bowl and fork/ whisk or stand mixer.
3. Combine flour and nuts in separate bowl. After combining, add this mixture to the butter and sugar mixture.
4. After dough is formed, roll into small balls (or any other shape you’d like) and place on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, constantly checking to see that the cookies don’t become darker than a light brown color. (Tip: Use the top rack of the oven to make burning less likely.)
6. Let cookies cool. After they cool, roll them in powdered sugar.