Quiz: Halloween movies you should watch based on your academic interests

Compass International Pictures/Courtesy

It’s Halloween season, and what better way is there to start celebrating than with a movie marathon? Now that midterms are almost over, it’s time to detox with a movie that’ll scare you almost as much as that F you just received on your Chemistry 1A test. But sometimes it’s too difficult to figure out what movie you want to watch, so we at the Clog have a solution. We know you don’t want to make this stressful decision on your own, so make the decision based on clearly the only thing that defines your identity — your academic interests.

1. What field of study do you like the most?
    1. Science
    2. Math
    3. Humanities
    4. Social Sciences
    5. I like everything, really
  2. What type of work environment do you prefer?
    1. Corner office — for all you focused individuals
    2. An airplane — because you love traveling so much
    3. Home, since your work doesn’t require anything else but a laptop and a cellphone
    4. A cafe, since you’ve worked so hard that you should be able to afford a Starbucks every day
    5. A lab — you’re trying to find the cure for all diseases out there
  3. What takes up the most space in your backpack?
    1. Your history reader: 500 pages of information you know you’ll never read
    2. Snacks because you’re on campus all day and you refuse to get hungry
    3. Your laptop — all your life is contained in glass and metal
    4. Books — textbooks or novels. You now have a minor back problem.
    5. A single notebook — you take plenty of notes and that’s enough, right?
  4. What’s your favorite writing utensil?
    1. Pen — you’re never wrong
    2. Pencil — everyone makes mistakes
    3. Laptop, because you’re really on Facebook instead of studying
    4. A feather quill since you’re an old soul
    5. Yellow highlighter because you left everything else back home
  5. What are you doing on a Thursday night?
    1. Sleeping — you’re making up for last week’s all-nighter
    2. Partying — thirsty Thursday, anyone?
    3. Studying because learning always comes first
    4. Crying because you just got your Chem 1A midterm test back and it’s not good
    5. Netflix and chill — you know
  6. What’s your GPA? (be honest)
    1. 2.0 — C’s get degrees
    2. 2.5 — A for effort, C for execution
    3. 3.0 — you’re perfectly average
    4. 3.5 — you’re on the path to greatness
    5. 4.0 —  you’re going to grad school
  7. What music do you listen to while studying?
    1. Top 40 — you’ve heard them a billion times so they aren’t distracting
    2. Dubstep — you need to feel the rhythm
    3. Classical — Mozart makes you smarter
    4. Disney music because you don’t want to let your childhood memories die
    5. I don’t listen to music — I need to focus, dude.
  8. How closely do you follow the school’s code of conduct about plagiarism?
    1. We have a code of conduct?
    2. I keep it next to my bedside
    3. It doesn’t count when you plagiarize yourself, right?
    4. What I’m writing is 90 percent plagiarized, so therefore it’s 100 percent mine
    5. Yes.
    1. “Halloween”: The OG of independent slasher flicks, “Halloween” introduced the world to Michael Meyers, a murderous 21-year-old who escapes from a psychiatric hospital and spreads terror wherever he goes. The film has sparked seven sequels and a Rob Zombie remake in 2007. If you haven’t seen this movie, make 2015 the year you revisit the film that terrified your parents and made an entire generation afraid to go out at night.
    2. “The Nightmare Before Christmas”: Some people may argue that this is a Christmas movie. We say, why can’t it be both? Start the holiday season off right by watching Jack Skellington as he attempts to spread cheer instead of fear. Did we mention that it’s a musical directed by Tim Burton and scored by Danny Elfman?
    3. “Hocus Pocus”: Directed by Kenny Ortega, the mastermind behind “High School Musical,” this cult classic stars Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy. These women play the Sanderson Sisters, a trio of witches that are accidentally resurrected by a teenage boy. The film follows the boy, his love interest and little sister as they attempt to save the children in their town from the Sanderson Sisters.
    4. “Friday the 13th”: A cult classic heralded as being one of the first slasher horror films, it has numerous sequels, a crossover with “A Nightmare on Elm Street (Freddy vs. Jason)” and it’s even been rebooted. The original, however, is still the most frightening. It made all those campfire stories about killers in the night even more terrifying.
    5. “Halloweentown”: The first of three “Halloweentown” movies (we don’t count the fourth movie when Disney attempted to pull a fast one and replace our beloved Kimberly with a different actress) is truly the best. Marnie, a young witch who is unaware of her powers, is introduced to Halloweentown by her grandmother and becomes embroiled in a plot that would change Halloweentown forever.
    6. “The Addams Family”: Based on the characters of The Addams Family cartoon, this movie brings to life that hilariously strange family. Morticia and Gomez Addams’ love for each other and their children is honest, even as they encourage their children to sword fight, electrocute and poison each other. The family works together to take down a foe that tries to tear them apart. The American Dream has never looked better.
    7. “Scream”: A self-aware homage to all horror films, “Scream” is funny and scary in turn. Although there are many sequels, the original is by far the best and has become a classic that any lover of the horror genre should see.
    8. “A Nightmare on Elm Street”: “A Nightmare on Elm Street” made an entire generation afraid to fall asleep. This supernatural horror flick brought the world Freddy Krueger, a being that haunts your dreams at night and kills you, which leads to your death in the real world too. All is not as it seems in the fictional town of Springwood, Ohio, as relationships are tested and the sins of parents are revealed.

Contact Sophia Zepeda at [email protected].