Roasted sweet potatoes with caramelized onion

Vinh Nguyen /Courtesy

Simple but tasty, this hearty sweet potato with caramelized onion dish will taste delicious whether eaten hot straight out of the oven or served cold on a warm summer day. The caramelized onions bring a sweet, umami flavor while the balsamic vinegar adds a slight acidity to the taste. It’s perfect for a picnic with friends, a family reunion or even a late-night snack — this recipe will only take you 30 minutes. Go ahead and try it out!

Ingredients:

3 sweet potatoes

1 tsp smoked paprika

1 tsp cumin

Vegetable oil

1 onion

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Salt and pepper

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees then peel and cube the sweet potatoes. Try to cut them all into the same size so they cook evenly.
  2. Lightly drizzle oil onto the potatoes just enough to coat them, and then sprinkle in paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.
  3. Lay them on the baking sheet before putting into the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, depending on the size of the cubes.
  4. In the meantime, half moon the onion. When the pan is hot, caramelize the onion by slowly cooking it over medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper. Look for browned and soft but not mushy onions.
  5. Take the sweet potatoes out of the oven when they’re slightly colored and a fork can easily pierce through the flesh.
  6. Combine a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar with the onions before tossing them together with the roasted sweet potato cubes.
  7. Enjoy!

Contact Stephanie Wang at [email protected].