You can fight the sophomore slump

Omil Xia/Staff

Sophomore slump — a time of inevitable anxiety and stress because your grades are slipping before your eyes, the impending fear of “declaring your major” looms and everyone around you seems to be doing just fine. We’ve all heard of this term before, but we didn’t expect this tragedy to happen to us, right? The semester started off with big dreams — then all of a sudden we’re dumped with the inevitable midterm season and somewhere along the way, we’ve lost hope and motivation. It sucks.

The procrastination level starts to become more and more absurd; after you’ve finished scrolling through your Facebook and Instagram feeds and checked everyone’s Snapchat stories, you turn to Venmo as a new form of social media. We see Chelsea had to pay her electricity bill today and Frank bought concert tickets for Korn. You’re watching way more Netflix shows than you should and you easily give yourself undeserving breaks. The problem set you first finished in an hour now takes several days … to start. We at the Clog understand this slump as something no one should go through, but we want to remind you to hold on to your dreams and ambitions amidst all the stress, fear and tears you may have shed. The last thing you are is alone; all of us have a calm exterior on the outside, but no one sees how furiously we’re paddling just to stay afloat.

The first step to overcoming the slump is to get out of bed and close those BuzzFeed, Netflix and social media tabs. Stop daydreaming about hypothetical drop-out plans and utilize an agenda with to-do lists, the first one being GET MY LIFE TOGETHER. Then, start to utilize campus resources, such as talking to your undergraduate major adviser, professors during office hours and the Career Center. Of course this is advice you commonly hear, but how many of us actually take that advice? Next, treat your body right. Reward yourself with nom-noms once in a while, but start giving your body better nutrients starting with vegetables. There are also never enough hours to study in a day, so take one hour to hit the gym. And maybe another to call your friend and family to keep up with their lives.

But ultimately, acknowledge that it’s easy to get lost in the commotion of life, the drama of friends, the fear of the future and the stress that comes with the thought, “GPA is forever.”  But there’s so much more this world has to offer and we should not dwell in our fears and anxiety. As college students, we hardly know what we want to do for the rest of our lives. It is perfectly all right to be unsure about your goals and to seize the future gradually. Remember, there’s freedom in the unknown. For now, simply breathe in slowly, gently, deeply as we finish off the semester at UC Berkeley knowing we did the best we could.

Contact Omil Xia at [email protected].