Historic Berkeley eatery Oscar’s closes after 65 years of service

Audrey Mcnamara/Staff

Related Posts

Oscar’s, a historic Berkeley fast-food restaurant, has closed after 65 years of service.

The former hamburger and hot dog restaurant — located at the intersection of Hearst and Shattuck avenues, near North Berkeley’s Gourmet Ghetto — announced its intent to close in May but did not officially close until October.

Oscar’s was a family-owned restaurant established in 1950. The original owner’s son was the last owner of the restaurant, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

This news has been met with mixed responses, as shown by both positive and negative reviews on the restaurant’s Yelp page.

Sweetgreen, a Washington D.C.-based fast-food chain that uses organic ingredients, will open a location on the property.

Founded by three Georgetown University students in 2007, the chain currently has 31 stores on the East Coast and two in California, with more planned to open on the West Coast in the near future.

Contact Ericka Shin and Emma Soldon at [email protected].