West Berkeley business employee sustains nonlife-threatening injuries in attempted robbery Saturday

An employee of a West Berkeley business was shot during an attempted robbery Saturday afternoon and sustained nonlife-threatening injuries.

The victim was shot multiple times at E.C. Hydro, a hydroponics store on Fifth Street, just before 4:30 p.m. Saturday, as first reported by Berkeleyside. The victim was alone with the suspect in the store and called in the incident himself, requesting medical aid. He was taken to the hospital and treated for nonlife-threatening injuries.

Berkeley Police Department Lt. Andrew Rateaver said it is unknown whether the suspect was acting alone. Because the investigation is ongoing, Berkeley police could not release a description of the suspect or an estimate of how much was stolen.

Police could not say whether the robbery was successful because they said it would compromise the investigation.

According to Rateaver, commercial robberies — especially ones that occur in the middle of the day — are rare. He said burglaries, wherein the thief does not injure the victim, are more common.

Sally Littlefield is the lead crime and courts reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @slittlefield3.