Cal women’s basketball guard Breanna Cavanaugh to take leave of absence

Cal women’s basketball freshman guard Breanna Cavanaugh has withdrawn from her classes as she tries to recover from the lingering symptoms of a concussion she received in September, Cal Athletics announced Monday.

“After discussing the situation with Bre, her family and our medical personnel, we reached a decision that given her medical history, it was in her best interest to return home to New Jersey where she can fully recuperate,” Gottlieb said in her statement. “Her health and welfare is our No. 1 priority. While there is no timeline on her expected return, we’re looking forward to welcoming Bre back when she is fully healed and physically ready to participate. Until then, we will support her through her recovery as we focus on the nine healthy players we have who are ready to get our season started.”

It is unknown when Cavanaugh, who has been unable to participate in team activities, will be able to rejoin the team. She is a member of Cal’s highly regarded five-person recruiting class, and Cavanaugh was a consensus top-100 recruit, including her No. 91 rating by ESPN HoopGurlz.

Hooman Yazdanian covers women’s basketball. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @hoomanyazdanian.