BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Cal women's golf shows glimpses of potential in 1st half of 2014-2015 season

PHILLIP DOWNEY | SENIOR STAFF

NOVEMBER 09, 2015

If the 2014-15 season was special because of the Cal women’s golf team’s performance in playoffs without a senior, then the 2015-16 season is important because of the role the seniors have played on the team.

Seniors Carly Childs, Pauline Loulier and Hannah Suh are different types of leaders for the Bears. The history that each of them provides at tournaments is valuable because experience, in golf, is a fundamental part of the game.

“We’re creating competition. (Childs) is a fighter. She’s tough, and she brings a lot of competition to the team. I can rely on her for that, and I know she will continue to do that,” said Cal head coach Nancy McDaniel. “She will always bring an intensity that helps this team.”

Childs has been a member of Cal’s starting lineup at every tournament the last two years. So far this season, she has started in three of the four events the Bears have attended. That attests to both the depth that Cal now has with the addition of two talented freshmen and the struggles Childs has had with obtaining results that will help the team move forward.

For Childs, it will be crucial for her to limit the number of unforced extra strokes. The errors that Childs has been making have contributed to a 10-over-par finish, tied for 31st at the CSU Ptarmigan Classic, and a 20-over-par rank, tied for 45th at the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational. She is also coming off a performance at the Pac-12 Preview in which she was 23 over par and placed 50th out of 59 individuals.

“It’s not always about the score. It’s also about how you go about your business,” McDaniel said. “(Childs) goes about it in a way that is so inspiring for everybody around her.”

Suh, the only senior to play in all of the competitions this year, has had two great tournaments and two meager events, but it’s unclear which one will show up for the second half. Suh tied with Childs for 31st (+10) at the CSU Ptarmigan Classic, but she earned fourth (+4) and seventh (E) at the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational and Stanford Intercollegiate, respectively. Despite the remarkable accomplishments, Suh carded 9 over par, which led to her tying for 27th at the Pac-12 Preview last week.

Like Suh, Cal freshman Marianne Li is a bit of a wild card. Suh’s strong performances came during the middle-two tournaments, while Li’s accomplishments were in the first and last tournament of the fall season. Li made her presence known with a seventh-place finish (+3) at the CSU Ptarmigan Classic. Despite carding +13 and +9 along the way, Li put together an impressive outing at the Pac-12 Preview, where she finished T4 at even par.

Of the seven players who have represented Cal this season, junior Lucia Gutierrez has shown the most progress. She started the season with +12 at the CSU Ptarmigan Classic, which she followed up with +9 at the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational. Before finishing +4 at the Pac-12 Preview, Gutierrez carded +3 at the Stanford Intercollegiate. If Gutierrez can continue lowering her score, the Bears will be in prime position to make some roars in the spring and championship seasons.

Each player has contributed to the Bears’ rise up the ranks. After its solid performance at the Stanford Intercollegiate, No. 22 Cal made it to the top 25 — the first time it has been ranked this season.

Last year, the Bears squeezed into the last spot at the NCAA Championships, which was Cal’s first back-to-back appearance since it made six straight in the early 2000s. The team is also one of six teams from the Pac-12 to play in both the 2014 and 2015 NCAA championships. With the confidence that they’re building this year, the Bears will be hungry for even more.

Contact Christopher Zheng at 

NOVEMBER 09, 2015