Cal football to open 2016 season in Australia

Phillip Downey/File

On a day when the Cal football team is preparing to play in its last regular season game of 2015, it was announced that in 2016, the Bears will be going down south.

On Saturday, it was revealed that Cal will be playing its first game of the 2016-17 season in Sydney, Australia on Aug. 27. against Hawaii at the 83,500-seat ANZ Stadium originally constructed for the 2000 Olympics.

This is coming off a summer that featured the Cal men’s basketball team making an appearance in Australia, playing against professional teams before its season began.

“This is a once-in-a-lifetime type of experience for our student-athletes and an excellent opportunity to see and learn about another culture,” said Cal head coach Sonny Dykes in a statement from Cal athletics.

The event will be called the Sydney Cup and is expected to attract more than 15,000 international fans. This will be the first time an American football game will be played in Sydney and the first time in Australia since two games were played in Melbourne in 1985 and 1987.

This is only the second time the Bears have played a football game outside of the United States, with the first being Nov. 28, 1987 in Tokyo, Japan against Washington State, tying 17-17.

After the international game, the Bears will get a bye week to readjust and then face off against San Diego State on Sept. 10 and host Texas on Sept. 17 before starting the Pac-12 season.

Alaina Getzenberg covers football. Contact her at [email protected]