Cal head coach Sonny Dykes interviews with Missouri

Kore Chan/File

Update 12/1/15: This article has been updated to reflect new information from a spokesperson from Cal Athletics.

On Tuesday, it was revealed that Cal football head coach Sonny Dykes will be interviewing for the Missouri head coaching job. According to Yahoo Sports, Dykes is one of four candidates visiting with Missouri athletic director Mack Rhoades in Denver this week, with other candidates, including Air Force head coach Troy Calhoun, Colorado State coach Mike Bobo and Utah State head coach Matt Wells.

Current Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel will be resigning from his position Dec. 31 or after a new coach is in place, after being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma earlier this year.

This news comes after Cal Athletics released a statement from athletic director Mike Williams two weeks ago announcing that Dykes has his full support and that a contract extension was being discussed. Cal Athletics did not confirm whether it was aware that Dykes was interviewing with Missouri.

“We have been in talks about an extension,” said Wes Mallette, associate athletic director for Cal Athletics. “We have exchanged terms, and at this point, we are just awaiting a response.”

Dykes has been the head coach of the program since December 2012, when he replaced Jeff Tedford, and has a 13-23 record in his time with Cal. Dykes will be bringing the team to what will be its first bowl game appearance in four seasons. He also helped improve the Academic Progress Rate, or APR, from 921 in 2009-10 to 941 in May 2015. According to Mallette, the NCAA granted Cal Athletics permission to release next year’s APR score early, which is expected to be 997 for football when the report is officially released in the spring.

Despite multiple reports that Dykes has been looking to move on from the program, Cal Athletics denied the validity of these rumors.

“Over the course of the past year, the relationship between our football program and our athletics department is as strong as it has ever been,” Mallette said. “The stories that have been reported by certain media outlets pointing to anything else than a solid relationship between the athletics administration and our head football coach are not true.”

Contact Daily Cal Sports at [email protected].