BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Several power outages affect 4,000 people in Southside, West Berkeley

DECEMBER 10, 2015

About 11:50 a.m. Thursday, several power outages affected nearly 4,000 people in South Berkeley and North Oakland, according to Pacific Gas and Electric.

The affected areas spanned from approximately Adeline Street to 10th Street, and from Russell Street to University Avenue, according to the outage map.

PG&E spokesperson Tamar Sarkissian attributed the cause of the outages to failed underground equipment.

The outage briefly affected the Tang Center, lasting less than 30 minutes, according to Claudia Covello, executive director of University Health Services. Covello said that because the outage occurred during lunch time, it had little impact on day-to-day activities.

The Tang Center has a back-up generator that went on immediately to allow patient care to continue, according to Covello. She added that mainly administrative offices lost power.

Power was restored at the center about 12:20 p.m. Power was slowly restored throughout other affected areas, according to the Berkeley Police Department.

Sarkissian said power in all the affected areas was largely restored by approximately 1:14 p.m., earlier than the 2:30 p.m. estimated restoration time noted by PG&E’s outage map.

Contact Suhauna Hussain and Alexandra Yoon-Hendricks at [email protected].

DECEMBER 10, 2015