Sonny Dykes agrees to extension to stay at Cal through 2019

Kore Chan/File

On Thursday, it was announced that Cal football head coach Sonny Dykes has signed a two-year contract extension to stay with the team through 2019 for a total of $11.3 million. Dykes has been given a $3 million salary pool for his assistants. The extension includes a “one-year rollover clause” for every year the team wins seven regular-season games and achieves an annual Academic Progress Rate, or APR, of 980 or more.

Despite interviewing with at least one other school, Missouri, Dykes decided to remain with the Bears.

This decision comes on the heels of reports that Dykes viewed remaining as the head coach as a “last resort” option and definitely not his first choice.

Dykes led the Bears to a 13-23 record over his three-year tenure, including making Cal’s first bowl game appearance in four years this season. He was also a part of the program that raised the team’s APR to what appears will be 997 when the report is released in the spring, nearing a perfect 1000 and up from 941 last year.

“We are pleased to announce we have agreed to terms with Coach Dykes and look forward to him continuing to lead our football program,” said athletic director Mike Williams in a statement from Cal Athletics. “We are very proud of our football program’s turnaround and growth over the past three years. … Turning around a program is not an easy task and in three years, Sonny and his staff have been instrumental in re-establishing a strong culture for our football program. Our expectations at Cal are high and we are confident that Sonny will have our program fighting consistently for a Pac-12 title, a major bowl berth and inclusion in the national football conversation.”

Alaina Getzenberg covers football. Contact her at [email protected]