Molten chocolate lava cake recipe

Abigail Balingit/Staff

Baby, it’s cold outside! Christmas and New Year’s may be over, but that doesn’t mean that the winter cold has ended. This molten chocolate lava cake recipe is the perfect way to warm up in this chilly weather. What could be better than devouring oozing chocolate straight from the oven? It’s incredibly easy and the perfect recipe to wow your friends and family. You can even bookmark it for Valentine’s Day — but the truth is you really don’t need a special occasion to make this molten chocolate lava cake. As far as we’re concerned, eating chocolate cake is a year-round activity. Give it a try!

What you’ll need (makes 4 cakes): 

4 oz. dark chocolate or bittersweet baking chocolate

1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick) + 3 tbsp. melted butter for ramekins

1 cup confectioners’ sugar

2 large eggs + 2 large egg yolks

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour

2 tsp. instant coffee granules (it doesn’t make cakes taste like coffee and serves to enhance the chocolate flavor)

1/2 tsp. salt

whipped cream and fresh raspberries (optional but recommended)

cake 2

What you’ll do:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and use 3 tbsp. of melted butter to grease the four ramekins (about 3-4 inches in diameter or about 4 oz. each). Place ramekins on a baking sheet and set aside.cake 3
  2. Add the chocolate and butter to a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl and heat on high power for about 1 minute or until melted. Whisk until smooth. If needed, return bowl to microwave and heat in 15-second increments until chocolate is smooth.cake 5
  3. Add the sugar, egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.cake 4
  4. Add the flour, coffee granules and salt. Stir until just combined; don’t over-mix.cake 6
  5. Pour batter into prepared ramekins, divided evenly.cake 7
  6. Bake for about 12 minutes or until edges are set but center is still soft; don’t over-bake. Baking times will vary based on oven, ramekins and climate. cake 8
  7. Allow cakes to cool in ramekins for about 1 minute. Gently rim the edges of ramekins with a paring knife, and invert over serving dishes to dislodge cakes. Optional: top with more confectioner’s sugar, whipped cream and raspberries. Serve immediately — cakes are best when warm and fresh. Enjoy!
    cake 9

*Recipe adapted from Averie Cooks.

Contact Abigail Balingit at [email protected].