The hardest part of coming back to school is often the transition into having to cook again. With the winter chill creeping into our underheated apartments, we find ourselves craving warm, cozy food and a way to utilize all the produce we thought we needed. Look no further than this hearty, vegetarian soup recipe.
What you’ll need:
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Oregano (to taste)
2 bay leaves
4 cloves garlic
2 tbsp. coconut oil
5 cups vegetable broth
14 oz can tomato sauce
28 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
Canned white beans
1 cup carrots
5-6 small red potatoes
1 large onion
3 cups kale
What you’ll do:
- Prepare the veggies by peeling and slicing into chunks.
- Heat the oil in the soup pan.
- Add onion, garlic, pepper and salt to pan. Cook for about four minutes.
- Simmer tomato sauce, tomatoes, broth, squash and zucchini for 15 minutes. Keep the pot covered.
- Add beans and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Add seasonings and kale. Stir and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Top with fresh basil.
Contact Martha Morrissey at [email protected].