A guide to themed cafes in Berkeley

Josh Escobar/Senior Staff

We’ve all experienced Berkeley’s eccentricity first-hand. Whether it’s the always entertaining street performers or the list of random DeCals offered on campus, Berkeley never fails to have something for everyone. So it comes as no surprise that Berkeley is also home to a number of themed cafes, which cater to any and every kind of person that could potentially walk through the doors. The Clog has come up with a guide to the most interesting themed cafes in town that every Berkeley student needs to try at least once. Your friends from home might not believe you when you tell them where you just had coffee.

Victory Point Cafe

Karen Chow/Staff

Karen Chow/Staff

Located on the corner of Shattuck Avenue and Delaware Street on Northside, this new cafe provides coffee, beer and board games. It only costs $5 per person to play games. You could stay all day and go through your childhood favorites, such as Clue and Battleship, and still have time to play fun party games (since you’re so college now), such as Cards Against Humanity and Hedbandz. Victory Point also serves a variety of food from gourmet pretzels to warm sandwiches. It’s the perfect place to get your game on, as well as your coffee fix.

Cat Town Cafe

Alvin Wu/Staff

Alvin Wu/Staff

Although this cafe is technically located in Oakland, you can get there easily by taking the 1R bus down Telegraph Avenue to 30th Street for a dose of cuteness and caffeine. Cat Town Cafe serves as both a cafe and a cat adoption center, where customers can enjoy cold brew coffee or cat-themed macaroons while playing with what could potentially be their new furry friend for life. The number of cats ranges from 10 to 25, depending on how many have been adopted, so you’ll definitely be able to spread the love. Be sure to check out their website and make reservations if necessary.

The Musical Offering

Curtis Conn/Courtesy

Curtis Conn/Courtesy

Most of you have probably seen this cafe while walking down Bancroft Way toward Telegraph Avenue, but next time you should stop and explore the classical music history it has to offer. The Musical Offering doubles as a classical music CD store and a bistro. It opens at 8 a.m. on weekdays, so it’s the prime destination for finishing up that homework you have to turn in later in the day. Check out their calendar for scheduled live performances.

Guerrilla Cafe

artsphoto_ahayat

Ariel Hayat/Senior Staff

With rotating art exhibitions from all over the world, Guerrilla Cafe offers customers a little taste of the world in its quaint, comfortable space. Order from a menu with a variety of paninis, soups and coffee while enjoying the beautiful art hanging on the walls. Take a break from the blank white walls of Dwinelle and hop on the 51B  or the 52 and you’ll be there in just 25 minutes.

Contact Carina Zhao at [email protected].