Underrated places to eat in Berkeley

Berkeley is the home to many authentic restaurants, diners, grills and shacks to grab food across all sorts of cuisines. Despite living in a town with enough options that you could eat at a new place every day, we tend to visit the usual favorites over and over again. In fact, many times we inadvertently miss going to places hidden behind the spotlight of some popular, sensational ones. We at the Clog took a moment to pause and list places that are far underrated for the food experience they offer and those that deserve your attention.

The Original Diner

Catherine Straus/Staff

Catherine Straus/Staff

Chances are you’ve likely passed by this restaurant located on the corner of Shattuck Avenue and Kittredge Street several times when walking Downtown. It’s especially easy to miss because it doesn’t seem to sport any sort of logo outside at first sight. For those of you who are looking for an old-fashioned diner experience and wish to have a change from the go-to that is Saturn Cafe, you should most definitely visit this place that sells absolutely amazing milkshakes.

Troy Greek Cuisine

clog.college.langton

Next time when you take a walk down to Elmwood to grab some Tara’s Organic Ice Cream, make sure you drop by this restaurant located between Webster Street and Ashby Avenue on College Avenue. Themed with an antique, snug atmosphere, the place is a perfect spot to go on a first date as well. The food is worth its modest price with their meza and spanakopita being our favorite highlights.

Fresco Mexican Grill

Spandana Singh/Staff

Spandana Singh/Staff

If you’re tired of going to Chipotle every other day or spending dollars at Celia’s for when you crave some tacos and burritos, Fresco Mexican Grill might be the choice for you. Located on Allston Way in Downtown Berkeley, the grill offers cheap rates for fast and delicious Mexican food.

Sliver Pizzeria

Maggie Soun/File

Maggie Soun/File

Although not as underappreciated as the other restaurants, this pizza place is still not as talked about as Artichoke Basille’s and Cheeseboard, even though it deserves to be just as well-known. With a new pizza of the day every day of the week, there’s no chance you’ll ever get sick of a single type of pizza.

Namaste Madras

Namaste

Located between Bancroft Way and Durant Avenue, Namaste Madras is an authentic South Indian restaurant. Although we have heard reviews from two extremes, we suggest you give this place a shot because the people who do like the place fall in love with it. Customer favorites include masala dosa and butter chicken.

Brazil Fresh Squeeze Cafe

Eunice Choi/Staff

Eunice Choi/Staff

Even though it’s just a stand located between Oxford Street and West Entrance, chances are you’ll always see a long line at this little shack. The reason it’s part of this list is because this place deserves an even longer line. Their Pedro’s Favorite Tri Tip Sandwich and mango smoothies will wrap you into a bundle of happy satisfaction.

Contact Sowgandhi Rayapudi at [email protected].