10 things we could do if we didn’t sleep in

Sophia Zepeda/Staff
Sophia Zepeda/File

We all know the feeling of waking up in the morning for that 8 a.m. lecture in Soda Hall and resorting to asking a higher power for an extra five minutes to sleep in. The weather outside is frightful, and you’ve wrapped yourself in such a tight blanket burrito that you can’t unravel yourself. You mumble to yourself, “just five more minutes.” Before you know it, five minutes snowball into about 10 minutes, and 10 minutes eventually turn into 20. You’re scrambling for your keys, running late and rushing out the door like a maniac. Starting the day off right can make the biggest difference in the world, and we at the Clog know how hard it can be to jump out of bed. Here are some ways to let your brain know that you don’t need those five extra minutes of sleep.

1. Eat breakfast!
    If you get up early enough, you’ll have time to savor that bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch at Crossroads. And if you want to go the extra mile, you can even sit down at Cafe 3 and get yourself a special made-to-order omelet!
  2. Enjoy your shower.
    Instead of throwing on a cap and forgoing a much-needed hair wash, you’ll feel significantly better after having taken a nice, hot shower. Throw that bottle of dry shampoo away and step out of your room actually feeling refreshed.
  3. Make your bed.
    This may seem like a foreign concept now that your mom isn’t here to reinforce good behavior, but making your bed can be a good thing to add to your routine. Just think about how nice it would be to crash onto a made bed after a long day of classes.
  4. Answer important emails.
    Get up early to make time for Chancellor Nicholas Dirks and his informative emails. BMail seems to be especially active while you’re asleep, which means some of the emails will go unread and right into the trash. If you get up early enough, however, you can open and answer a couple of pressing emails before heading out to class.
  5. Get updated with social media.
    Wait. Did you watch that new Beyonce video or the latest viral video of a corgi being adorable (as always)?  With those extra five minutes, you can treat yourself to consuming some great content. While you’re at it, don’t forget to support your loved ones on Instagram by double-tapping their pictures so they know your friendship is still real.
  6. Do a thorough weather check.
    With this unpredictable weather, the sun can be deceiving. No matter how bright the sun seems, the wind still manages to give us the chills. It could be a lot colder than it looks outside or it could rain later on in the day. If you wake up a little earlier, you can make sure you’re prepared to brave the weather with an extra jacket and/or umbrella.
  7. Double check if you’ve forgotten anything.
    Speaking of being sufficiently prepared, you can now spare yourself another trip back home by checking to see if you have your laptop charger, books and other necessities before leaving your room. Save yourself the grief of forgetting your iClicker at home. Those participation points could potentially salvage your grades at the end of the semester.
  8. Grab a coffee.
    Stop by the ASUC Student Union and get yourself a warm cup of joe from Equator. With a good dose of caffeine in your system, you’ll be awake and alert for class.
  9. Get to class on time.
    Even with Berkeley time, you’re still struggling to make it to your first class. With those five extra minutes, you can at least minimize the effort you have to put in to get that prime seat in Wheeler Auditorium (A.K.A. the one closest to the exit).
  10. Have peace of mind.
    Without the panic of running late to class, you’ll be in the right state of mind and start the day off right. Instead of just trying to get to lecture on time, you’ll actually be able to focus on the material while you’re not out of breath and struggling to catch up on the first few minutes of notes.

Contact Abigail Balingit at [email protected].