Tunesday: Galentine’s Day festivities

February has the best holiday of the year. Hint: It’s not Valentine’s Day. Nope! Ladies, get ready for Feb. 13, or Galentine’s Day, a day in which you celebrate female friendships and solidarity the Leslie Knope way — with great food, no men and plenty of positive affirmations to go around. We’ve compiled a playlist full of mood music for when your squad gets brunch and exchanges appreciation gifts.

“Feeling Myself” by Nicki Minaj and Beyonce

How could we expect more from these two queens of contemporary pop music? “Feeling Myself” is just bursting at the seams with messages about both sexual and mental empowerment. Nicki and Queen B want you to be proud in your own skin and to support the women in your life.

“Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper

Honestly, this is the quintessential ‘80s pop embodiment of YOLO. It’s a danceable song that showcases Lauper’s magical, wacky singing chops. Eternalized in a music video full of frosty eyeshadow and wild, colorful outfits, the song also harbors an awesomely feminist undertone complete with a narrative of female liberation and self-expression that remains relevant today.

“Cinderella” by The Cheetah Girls

Remember when you were 12 and happily decided that “The Cheetah Girls” was one of the most feminist Disney films of all time when you heard the lyrics, “Don’t want to be no, no, no one else / I’d rather rescue myself”? Glimmering with a twinkle of early 2000s bubblegum pop, “Cinderella,” a song that embraces female ambition and self-sufficiency, slightly redeems Disney Channel from its many feminist faux pas.

“Hot Topic” by Le Tigre

Can you really have the ultimate girl power playlist without a staple riot grrrl song? “Hot Topic” is a meditative, instrumentally subdued anthem that spends most of its lyrics devoted to giving shoutouts to feminist icons such as Aretha Franklin and Gertrude Stein.

“Bad Girls” by M.I.A.

Live fast, die young, bad girls deconstruct the patriarchy! Certified badass M.I.A. infuses this hypnotic hip-hop song with synth sounds and Middle Eastern hooks. Packed with sass, the song is a reflection on her awareness as a sexual being, and it’s wonderful.

BONUS:

“Love is a Battlefield” by Pat Benatar

Remember that scene in “13 Going On 30” when Jenna tells a group of teenagers about her super romantic moment with Matty at the park? And then they start commiserating over each other’s heartaches and burst into an impromptu dance party to Pat Benatar’s hit, “Love is a Battlefield”? Tied together with intense percussions and layered dramatized vocals, Benatar’s spunky hit is the kind of song that perfectly encapsulates the heart-wrenching moments of vulnerability that you share during your most intimate girl talks.  

You can listen to this week’s Tunesday above. Follow Daily Cal A&E on Spotify!

Stacey Nguyen covers visual art. Contact her at [email protected].