BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Cal women's basketball to face Colorado in final regular season road game

ASHISH SAMADDAR | FILE

FEBRUARY 19, 2016

In its final road game of the season before the Pac-12 Tournament, Cal women’s basketball has the chance to end the road drought it’s been plagued by in conference play. This weekend, the Bears (12-13, 3-11 Pac-12) will embark on a two-game road trip, the tail end of which will be a road matchup Sunday against Colorado (6-19, 1-13).

The Buffaloes are currently ranked last in a historically competitive Pac-12 conference. While Colorado has struggled to pick up wins against stronger opponents, it still has the pieces to challenge other teams on a given night. Its lone win this season came against USC, a team currently ranked higher than Cal in the Pac-12, with a conference record of 6-8.

In their last matchup against Colorado, the Bears thrived in the absence of the Buffaloes’ leading scorer, Jamee Swan, and handily beat them at home, 64-35. Cal is a completely different team on the road, however, and Colorado is a much-improved team offensively with Swan back. Swan is averaging 13.4 points and 6.9 rebounds per game, and recently put up 16 points against a stingy Oregon defense.

For freshman forward Kristine Anigwe, the Bears’ leading scorer, Sunday’s game against Colorado presents an opportunity to return to her dominant offensive form that was on display early in the season. Anigwe scored 20 points and corralled 13 rebounds in her last outing against Colorado as a result of her size advantage. Despite the Buffaloes’ best attempts to pressure her and double-team her in the post, Anigwe played with poise and had an effective offensive game.

Another player to watch in this matchup is sophomore guard Gabby Green, whose recent return has given the Bears another playmaker to facilitate the offense. Green is a player whose offensive impact can be undervalued because she’s not an explosive scorer. Her ability to serve as the primary ball-handler for the Bears on many possessions and read the opposing defense to make the best play has benefited her team tremendously.

“She’s a big guard that can change tempo,” said Cal head coach Lindsay Gottlieb. “We think Gabby’s capable of a lot of really good things.”

On Colorado, a player the Bears should watch for is 6-foot-2-inch wing Lauren Higgins. Higgins may not be the Buffaloes’ most dynamic offensive talent, but she is an incredibly capable three-point shooter, averaging just more than two made triples per game on 38.6 percent shooting from long range. While Cal has been sharp defensively of late, its three-point defense hasn’t been particularly strong. If Higgins is able to have a strong shooting night and Colorado is able to run plays that result in open corner threes for her, it could spell trouble for the Bears.

For Cal, a team whose confidence has been shaken, closing the season on a high note could be vital heading into the Pac-12 Tournament, where it will need to win every game to make the NCAA Tournament. A win against a last-place team isn’t necessarily a confidence-booster, but the Bears cannot be complacent.

Contact Kapil Kashyap at 

FEBRUARY 19, 2016