BERKELEY'S NEWS • DECEMBER 03, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Campus, city police respond to 2 robberies Sunday night

Update 02/23/16: This article has been updated to reflect new information from UCPD Sgt. Sabrina Reich. 

UCPD and Berkeley Police Department responded to two robberies on and near the UC Berkeley campus Sunday evening.

The two robberies took place less than 15 minutes apart, according to two separate UCPD crime alerts released Monday — the first occurring just south of the Valley Life Sciences Building about 8 p.m and the second on Channing Way near Unit 3 shortly after.

The first victim, a 20-year-old male student, was approached about 8:12 p.m. on the Grinnell Pathway outside VLSB by five young black males, according to the alert. One of the suspects was armed with a gun, the alert said.

The suspect allegedly pointed the gun at the victim, demanding his property. The victim then fled the scene after the attempted robbery, according to UCPD Sgt. Sabrina Reich. UCPD searched the area but could not locate the suspects.

About 10 minutes later, a separate robbery was reported on the 2500 block of Channing Way by a female victim. Near the intersection of Channing Way and Dana Street, one of two suspects reached into the victim’s purse and stole her wallet, according to BPD spokesperson Officer Jennifer Coats in an email.

After the victim followed the suspects and reported the robbery to a nearby UCPD officer at 8:23 p.m., UCPD detained the suspects matching the victim’s description and recovered her stolen property.

BPD later arrived and took the two suspects into custody, identified as a 16-year-old black male from Oakland and a 17-year-old black male from Hayward, Calif., Coats said in an email.

Reich said BPD and UCPD are currently investigating whether the two attempted robberies are related.

The robberies reported Sunday night come after a string of sexual assaults that occurred last week, all near campus.

According to UCPD daily incident logs from January 2010 to September 2015, the most violent crime reports occur near the area south of campus, around Telegraph Avenue from Bancroft Way to Dwight Way.

Check back for updates.

Contact Lucas Lochner-Bravo and Alexandra Yoon-Hendricks at [email protected].

FEBRUARY 24, 2016