BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Cal women's basketball hope to play spoiler against Oregon

PHILLIP DOWNEY | FILE

FEBRUARY 25, 2016

After a pair of disappointing losses on the road last weekend, the Cal women’s basketball team will return to Haas Pavilion this weekend for its last two games of conference play. On Friday, Cal (12-15, 3-13 Pac-12) will play host to to Oregon (20-7, 9-7), a team battling hard for a postseason berth.

According to ESPN, the Ducks are predicted to be one of the first four teams out of the NCAA Tournament, while the Bears are far from consideration for making the tournament after an unimpressive showing in the conference portion of their schedule. But that doesn’t mean that Cal doesn’t have anything to play for.

In a system where nearly every player plays multiple years in college, the Bears can benefit from getting a second look at Oregon this season because they’ll likely see many of the same faces next season. Plus, ending the season on a high note will be a positive indicator of what can be expected from Cal next year, where an extra year of experience under each player’s belt should help the team significantly.

In its last meeting with the Ducks on Jan. 17, the Bears held Oregon to 45.3 percent shooting on the game. Cal’s offense, however, struggled to get going and the Bears ultimately fell 69-59 in a road matchup against the Ducks. Cal will need to be more efficient from the field, as well as convert on uncontested perimeter shots, in order to stand a chance against Oregon.

One of the biggest challenges the Bears will face this game will be finding a way to limit Jillian Alleyne’s impact in the game. Alleyne, a 6-foot-3-inch senior forward for the Ducks, is a double-double machine. She’s currently leading her team in scoring and rebounding with per-game averages of 19 points and 13.6 rebounds. Even more staggering is the fact that Alleyne averages almost five offensive rebounds per game, which gives her team valuable second-chance scoring opportunities. Cal will need to make Alleyne as uncomfortable as possible in order to prevent her from establishing an offensive rhythm, a philosophy that Oregon will likely embrace when it’s defending freshman forward Kristine Anigwe — the Bears’ leading scorer.

Alleyne is a dominant force inside, holding the distinction of being the Pac-12’s all-time rebounding leader, but she’s not the only threat on the Ducks that the Bears should be weary of. Oregon’s roster boasts considerable depth, with the Ducks’ three starting guards also averaging double-digit scoring figures on the season. The diversity of scoring options on its roster is the reason Oregon owns the conference’s second-best offense.

The statistical category where the Ducks stand head and shoulders above the rest of the Pac-12 is three-point percentage. Oregon is shooting 41.8 percent from distance as a team, a mark that puts them a full six percent ahead of second-place Oregon State and should frighten any opposing defense. This means that the Bears will need to figure out how to contest outside shots while giving Alleyne the defensive attention on the interior that her offensive skills warrant.

A matchup against Oregon on its final weekend of regular season play promises to be a stiff test for Cal. It’s on the Bears to rise to the occasion, especially on the defensive end, and give their fans a reason to be excited about next season before winding down their 2015-16 campaign.

Contact Kapil Kashyap at 

FEBRUARY 25, 2016