If the ‘Friends’ characters went to UC Berkeley

Geoffrey Chandler/Creative Commons

Even though some of us weren’t even born when the first “Friends” episode aired, it’s still an iconic TV series that we can relate to more now that we’re older. Since Netflix released all 10 seasons, it has generated an even more dedicated fan base. During class, you might catch someone randomly humming along to the show’s theme song, “I’ll Be There for You,” by the Rembrandts. However catchy the theme song is, it’s truly the lovable characters that have stuck with us for decades. Have you ever wondered what life would be like if our favorite friends from New York went to UC Berkeley? Whether your love life is DOA or you were disappointed by the recent cast reunion this past week, here’s how we envision life to be like if Phoebe, Rachel, Monica, Ross, Chandler and Joey were students at UC Berkeley, too.

Phoebe Buffay 

Phoebe would be majoring in philosophy and minoring in French. Everyone would know her as the most free-spirited and most outspoken person in all her classes. While she’d be working odd jobs to pay for school, she’d also turn her past mugging history into a hobby, boxing for the Cal Boxing club. You’d most likely catch Phoebe playing her guitar and singing her signature song, “Smelly Cat,” on Telegraph Avenue. She’d also be reading tarot cards for all her friends in the dorms. Meanwhile, her evil twin, Ursula, would be attending Stanford University.

Rachel Green

After a rude awakening that she wasn’t just going to be a trust-fund baby, Rachel would decide to major in business administration to pursue a career in fashion marketing. In order to make money, she would work as a waitress at Caffe Strada alongside a person named Gunther. While she isn’t taking amazing OOTD pictures after splurging on clothes from Jeremy’s Department store, Rachel would be writing for BARE Magazine. She would also be involved in FAST, both modeling her signature hairdo on the runway and handling a position on the Marketing Committee.

Monica Geller

Monica would be a nutritional science and toxicology major with a 4.0 GPA. Monica would also be the student who badgers her GSI over losing half a point on her nutritional science 10 midterm. With her intense passion for food, she would constantly be cooking at her friends’ apartments to try out new recipes. She would enjoy working for the Berkeley Student Food Collective. Monica would also be a very type-A roommate. As a form of stress relief, she would mostly likely be found cleaning the room from top to bottom.

Ross Geller

As a dinosaur fanatic, Ross would be an earth and planetary science major who takes paleontology courses. When he isn’t head over heels in love with Rachel Green, Ross would spend most of his time at the Marian Koshland Bioscience and Natural Resources Library in the Valley Life Sciences Building.  He would like as much time as possible in the vicinity of the T-Rex. You might also catch Ross playing the keyboard while opening for next SUPERB show with his band, Way, No Way, which he started with his roommate and best friend Chandler Bing.

Chandler Bing

Speaking of Chandler, he would be majoring in statistics with his great skills in data analysis. Because he has a sarcastic sense of humor, Chandler would also try his hand at improv as part of the comedy troupe, jericho! Living with Ross in Unit 1 Putnam, he made sure never to go back on their established bro code. Chandler would have certain quirks, like being adverse to the name Muriel and fear of commitment. Even though the floor would hold a Friendsgiving, Chandler would not partake in anything Thanksgiving-related for personal reasons.

Joey Tribbiani

Joey would be majoring in theater and minoring in gender and women’s studies. Having seven sisters, he would want to know more about feminist issues. In addition, Joey would do anything to pursue a career in acting. He would join BareStage and audition for TV shows and films shot in the Bay Area. You probably saw him as an extra in the “Steve Jobs” movie Danny Boyle filmed last year in Elmwood. Joey would miss his mom’s cooking so much that he would make weekly trips to Gypsy’s. From his many Tinder hook-ups, Joey’s roommates would know not to disturb him after seeing a sock on the door.

Contact Abigail Balingit at [email protected].