The unsung heroes of UC Berkeley

Audrey McNamara/File

Amid the never-ending midterm season, it’s easy to get caught up in a negative mindset. During the struggle of seemingly endless studying it’s important to take a step back and appreciate the many saving graces at UC Berkeley. From us at the Clog, here’s a simple thank you to all of the gems who keep this campus going.

Thank you, to the people who keep the campus so pretty. Maintaining such a massive school and keeping it in tip-top shape is a huge undertaking, and the roughly 37,000 students who inhabit the sprawling grounds don’t make your job any easier. The numerous boastful Instagram posts of our picturesque campus would not be possible without you.

Thank you, to any night safety shuttle driver who hauls weary college students around until the wee hours of the morning. Forget the prince in shining armor — it’s the trusty steed that matters, and none of that would be possible without a willing driver. Seeing those bright orange block letters atop our chariot cruising up the street to carry us home is what keeps us from sleeping in Main Stacks overnight.

Thank you, to the Cal Dining server who throws extra tater tots on every plate. In the throes of midterm season, those little fried spud clusters make all the difference in the world. Similarly, any and all of the omelette makers in the dining commons are easily the most talented people to grace the face of the planet. Those omelettes are unfailingly perfect, and brunch wouldn’t be the same without you.

Thank you, to the Golden Bear Cafe workers who are genuinely chipper in the morning. Getting a breakfast burrito before an 8 a.m. class can feel like running a marathon at the crack of dawn, but your bright disposition helps get things back on track. Also, without you and the GBC, it’s entirely possible that us relatively incapable college students would just waste away from hunger as a result of pure laziness. Shout out for keeping everyone alive.

Thank you, to the wonderful people who so kindly clean the dorm bathrooms. There aren’t enough caring words in the dictionary to accurately appreciate what you do. Let’s be real, college kids are pretty terrible sometimes, and we don’t give you anywhere near the amount of credit that you deserve. We can be inconsiderate, sloppy and still function on the assumption that our moms will clean up after us. Picking up after slobs because they can’t do it themselves must be infuriating at times, so shout out for being the real MVP.

Thank you, to the GSIs who make discussion enjoyable. Even though we compulsively check our phones and almost always neglect to do the assigned reading prior to meeting, we really do appreciate you. You’re the real game changer for a course, and a bomb GSI can be the reason for a peaked interest in a new and unsuspected field. Your dedication to making section the best it can be doesn’t go unnoticed.

Although we don’t say or show it nearly enough, we admire you saints and everything that you do.

Contact Amanda Chung at [email protected].