Tunesday: Teen flick tunes from ’99

There is nothing better than cozying up on a Saturday night with a good ol’ fashioned teenage rom-com. And one thing all teenage movies have in common are the plethora of memorable soundtracks. Here are some songs that have provided the awesome soundtracks for the golden era of teenage films — that’s right, 1999. If you don’t have time in your busy schedule to watch one of these excellent flashback films, then listen to some of their most memorable songs and relive the laughs, cries and gasps that these films have excelled at eliciting.

“Kiss Me” by Sixpence None the Richer

“Kiss Me” sets the backdrop to one of Hollywood’s most famous scenes from “She’s All That.” Rachael Leigh Cook walks down the stairs, looking radiant, with Freddie Prinze Jr. staring at her in awe. Whether this song makes you want to reenact the stair walk or cry bullets, listening to this song is like falling in love for the first time all over again.

“Bitter Sweet Symphony” by The Verve

Featured during the ending of the climactically intense film “Cruel Intentions,” “Bitter Sweet Symphony,” with its accompaniment of violin and drums, plays in a sensual harmonic tune. “Bitter Sweet Symphony” is the perfect backdrop for the taste of sweet revenge and justice that the film’s final moments encompass. This song provides a fun sense of freedom, which Reese Witherspoon certainly must’ve felt as she was driving away after destroying Sarah Michelle Gellar.

“You’re So Vain” by Carly Simon

A smooth grooving sound and the feeling of being completely over it — this song, which graced the 1999 cult classic “Dick,” is so not about that jerk of a crush Richard Nixon. Though the song came out in 1972 and the film more than two decades later, it completely fits in with the film’s Watergate Scandal and ‘70s backdrop. Though the song is about being over someone that is conceited, it still provides a danceable beat.

“I Want You to Want Me” by Letters to Cleo

Originally a cover for the film “10 Things I Hate About You,” this redone song features earnest lyrics with ‘90s alternative chick vocals. The song is about what most teenage problems are about: crushing hard. While starring the dreamy and still much missed Heath Ledger, the song perfectly depicts Ledger and Julia Stiles’ slow, resistant fall into love.

“Yoo hoo” by Imperial Teen

After just killing the teen dream, this song plays during the quintessential high school hallway walk in “Jawbreaker,” where all three of the girls strut their confidence while the body of one of their best friends lies in the trunk of the car. The song has a twisted blend of male and female voices as they are repeating the same lines over and over in a trance-like manner.

“Like a Prayer” by Madonna

While Drew Barrymore isn’t technically a high schooler in “Never Been Kissed,” she still pretends to be one. And though “Like a Prayer” came out in the ‘80s, it’s the perfect backdrop for Barrymore’s character in the film — whose first foray into high school was in the ‘80s. This song has a nostalgic upbeat tempo: Its frantic fervor works in Barrymore’s favor when she’s down on her luck, while not wanting to be Josie Grossie anymore during her second chance at high school.

You can listen to this week’s Tunesday above. Follow Daily Cal A&E on Spotify!

Contact Jeanette Zhukov at [email protected].