Pi day is coming up in less than a week, and what better way to celebrate than with the classic apple pie? Why go to Nation’s when you can be the pie master yourself? What’s even better is that this recipe is butterless and eggless, which means that you’ll definitely feel less guilty about consuming this delicious pie.
What you’ll need:
a pie pan (recommended 9 inch)
For the crust:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
For the filling:
3/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon (you can add a couple pinches more for an extra cinnamon-y taste)
1/8 tsp nutmeg
(1 tbsp milk, 1 tbsp sugar, and a pinch of cinnamon for top glazing)
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 400o F
2. Mix together the flour, sugar and salt. Pour oil and milk into the mixture. Stir, and then then form the mix into a ball with your hands.
3. Divide the dough in half. Flatten one of the halves into your pie pan, and save the other half in a bowl. Refrigerate both halves while you prepare the filling.
1. Combine sugar, flour and the spices in a large bowl.
2. Peel and cut apples into thin slices.
3. Stir them into the dry mix and pour into prepared pan.
4. Flatten the second half of the dough and place on top. Pinch and form wherever necessary.
5. Brush the top with glaze made of milk, sugar and cinnamon.
6. Poke four slits on top for releasing steam.
7. Bake for 50 minutes and enjoy!
Contact Sunny Tsai at [email protected].