Feeling overwhelmed by the abundance of Girl Scout cookies lately? Have no fear, now you can make Samoas from the comfort of your own residence hall kitchenette and eat away without it costing an arm and a leg.
For the cookies:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
8 ounces caramel soft-chew candy
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
Dash of salt
4 ounces dark chocolate
What you’ll do for the cookies:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix butter and sugar together until fluffy.
3. In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture gradually while mixing. Add in milk and vanilla extract, mixing until a dough-like consistency is reached.
4. Flatten dough and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about an hour (or until firm).
5. Take the wrapped dough out of the refrigerator and roll onto lightly floured service until about 1/8 inch thick. If you have a cookie cutter in the shape of a donut, use it to cut out as many cookies as possible. If not, use a knife to make circle shapes.
6. Place cut cookies on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake until cookies are pale gold-brown, about 10 minutes. Once done baking, take cookies out of the oven and allow to cool completely.
For the coconut topping:
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread shredded coconut onto sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes at the same temperature. Keep checking to make sure there’s no burning while stirring frequently. Once done toasting, take out of oven.
2. Melt caramels, milk and salt. Put a medium sauceboat into a larger saucepan of water. Keep inside until completely melted. Once done, combine 3/4 of the caramel with the toasted coconut.
3. Spread the leftover caramel onto the cookies. Place combined caramel and coconut mixture onto cookies.
4. Melt dark chocolate in microwave. Dip bottoms of cookies into chocolate and use a fork to drizzle the tops of the cookies with chocolate. Allow chocolate to harden.
Contact Kithumini Jayasiri at [email protected].