ASUC Elections Council reinstates CalSERVE party name

At a special Elections Council meeting Tuesday, the ASUC Elections Council voted to allow CalSERVE the use of its party name and reject Defend Affirmative Action Party’s party endorsement forms.

The special meeting occurred during a scheduled Elections Council meeting to order ballots. It took the place of an emergency meeting also scheduled for Tuesday night, which was rejected by the election council during an informal meeting that preceded the scheduled elections meeting.

CalSERVE’s endorsement form was denied Sunday by an unanimous vote by the Elections Council, because it was said to be too similar to branding used by the UC Berkeley campus.

The party and the Elections Council held an emergency meeting at 1:30 a.m. Tuesday morning after a private mediation session between CalSERVE leadership and the Elections Council chair.

The Elections Council agreed to rescind their decision to deny CalSERVE the use of their name and party endorsement form, in accordance with an agreement reached between the Elections Council and CalSERVE, according to Contreras.

ASUC Attorney General Alek Klimek, however, announced at the meeting’s conclusion that the Election Council’s vote invalid because the council did not have quorum.

On Feb. 10, Klimek announced in a report that he would be renouncing his duties related to the ASUC election and its candidates due to a possible conflict of interest.

“I still plan to make myself available to the Elections Council as an informational resource in all areas where I can act without potential bias,” Klimek said in his report at the time. The potential conflict of interest was ultimately resolved in late February.

Due to incomplete registration information and fees, candidates of DAAP, a party closely affiliated with the activist organization By Any Means Necessary, were reclassified by the Elections Council as independent candidates during their meeting on Sunday.

DAAP expressed strong opposition to their rejection during the informal meeting.

“We don’t believe the council should have the power to dissolve a party on a whim,” said Michael Cortez-Mejia, independent presidential candidate formerly associated with DAAP,  during the informal meeting.

The council also voted to make the endorsement forms of CalSERVE senate candidate, Danielle Miguel, valid during the meeting. Miguel, whose application was rejected due to a clerical error, had submitted her form before the deadline.

The 2016-17 ASUC general elections will be held April 4, 5 and 6.

Jessie Qian covers student government. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @jessieq96.

Because of misinformation from a source, a previous version of this article incorrectly stated that CalSERVE and the Elections Council had held an emergency meeting at 1:30 a.m. Tuesday morning to further negotiate CalSERVE’s name. In fact, the emergency meeting was held after a private mediation session between CalSERVE leadership and the Elections Council chair and did not involve mediation.

Because of misinformation from a source, a previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Alek Klimek had participated and voted in the meeting despite his announcement in February that he would remove himself from all duties concerning candidates and parties in the ASUC general elections due to a personal conflict of interest. In fact, Klimek announced that he had only a potential personal conflict of interest that ceased to exist in late February.  

Because of misinformation from a source, a previous version of this article incorrectly stated that at the emergency meeting’s conclusion, Klimek announced that the negotiations had been invalid all along. In fact, Klimek announced that the Elections Council vote to rescind its decision on CalSERVE’s party name was invalid because the council did not have quorum.