How to make your dorm room look like it belongs on Pinterest

Abigail Balingit/File

Midterms got you down? Feeling bored with your relatively drab and dark room? We at the Clog have a solution for you. Whether it be to give yourself a mental break, or to simply add some color to your room, decorating and crafting can be therapeutic, fun and easy. We know what you’re thinking. No way do you have time to tackle one of those million step, extremely complicated crafting projects that’ll cost your entire savings to look even halfway decent. Never fear, dear reader, these crafts are easy, cheap and maybe even a little therapeutic.

Decorative shelving

Gillian Perry/Staff

Gillian Perry/Staff

Those built in shelves that loom over your desk? Instant art. All you need to do is add some personal flair and you’re set. A vase with flowers, picture frames, mugs, even your textbooks can make your organizing look artsy.

Newspaper (or any cute paper you have lying around) and modge podge are your best friends

Gillian Perry/Staff

Gillian Perry/Staff

You can use these things to decorate pretty much anything. Modge podge is super sticky and adds a shiny coat to whatever you’re making, so it looks super professional without costing you a fortune. Having this tool will make you significantly more likely to craft, because creating something beautiful will only take minutes.

Use your hats

Gillian Perry/Staff

Gillian Perry/Staff

Add instant personal flair to your pad by hanging up your hats, scarves or whatever you feel should be displayed. All you need are some command hooks and a creative angle. You don’t always have to hang them in a straight line. Be expressive, and your room will be instantly personalized.

The more pictures, the better

Gillian Perry/Staff

Gillian Perry/Staff

You can’t go wrong with lots of cute pictures in your room. Be sure to use some command strips or paste that won’t take the paint off the wall, or hang up a cork board, so you don’t have to destroy the wall in your beautification process. You can use pictures to make shapes and lines, or you could have no organization at all. The best part about pictures is that they feature you and all your pals, so no matter what they look like on the wall, they’ll be appreciated.

Not every room has to feature elaborate canvases and everything decked out in glitter to look pinnable. Crafting and decorating can be done on a budget and within a limited time frame, all you have to do is add a little bit of you and you’ll be set.

Contact Gillian Perry at [email protected].