Saint Patrick’s Day corned beef, cabbage

Ariel Sauri/Staff

Saint Patrick’s Day has always held a special place in my heart — well, stomach. For as long as I can remember, March 17 has signified a hearty meal of corned beef and cabbage in the evening with the company of my family, most significantly, my grandmother. We’re not Irish in the slightest, but she insists upon the meal every year, and it’s become a sort of tradition for her to appear at the door with a steaming pot of meat, cabbage and potatoes in her arms.

As college students, we may, at times, deeply miss the sense of family that comes with a holiday celebration or a homemade dinner. This recipe comes with a good dosage of grandmotherly love — hopefully it’ll fill your stomach and warm your heart enough to keep you going until your next good family meal. 

We at the Clog say enjoy; my grandmother, via text, says “happy🍀🍀st Patrick’s day top of the morning to u.” The sentiment stands.

i smell like beef

Ariel Sauri/Staff

What you’ll need:

• 5-7 lbs corned beef brisket
  • 4-6 large potatoes
  • 1 head of cabbage
  • Whole carrots (optional)

The corned beef should come with a premade packet of spices; if it doesn’t, or if you’d like to make your own seasoning, you’ll need:

• ½ tsp. mustard seeds
  • 2 bay leaves, crushed
  • 8 Allspice berries
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • ½ tsp. pepper

What you’ll do:

1. Place the corned beef in a large pot of water, along with the spices. While the water heats, peel the potatoes, as well as the carrots, if you’re including them.
  2. Once the pot is boiling, pour off the water and add new. Cut the head of cabbage into four pieces and place in the pot along with the peeled potatoes and carrots.
  3. Allow the pot to heat again, placing the cover at an angle so that the steam can escape. Cook until the potatoes are soft enough to be pierced easily by a fork.
  4. Serve with deli or yellow mustard, alongside Irish soda bread or rye bread. Feeds four, generously.

Happy Saint Patrick’s Day, from all of us at the Clog (and from all of our grandmothers, too).

Contact Ariel Sauri at [email protected].