Signs you’ve found your college squad

Michael Drummond/File

On a campus with more than 30,000 students, finding a group of friends you connect with can be overwhelming. But once you’ve found the group of people you can go on midnight Safeway runs for ice cream with, your UC Berkeley experience will be exponentially more enjoyable. We at the Clog have come up with some signs that you’ve solidified your college crew.

1. You don’t need to worry about who you’re going to hangout with, ever. Your squad will always be your go-to and the first ones to appear on your speed dial. Whether it’s the end of a long, busy weekday or the start of the weekend, you already know who you’re texting when you want to go out partying or even on a boba run.
  2. You have a group chat that you talk consistently on. It doesn’t matter whether it’s on Facebook, group texts or GroupMe, just having a group messaging system cements your squad as a legit group. It’s a great way to allow squad members to talk to each other and keep one another updated on the newest gossips and embarrassing stories of their lives.  Although, most of the time, the conversations are predominantly GIFs and emojis.
  3. They’re your biggest group of supporters. You’ve already reserved seats for them for whatever showcase, performance or competition you may have, even if they’ll embarrassingly scream your name, bring flowers and make obnoxious posters to make you feel like the most important person on this planet. Besides physically supporting you, they’re also your mental and emotional support group. They hold you together, give you a shoulder to lean on at 3 a.m. in the morning, hold you back from making regretful drunk phone calls and texts and help you destress.
  4. You guys have tons of pictures together. It’s displayed so prominently throughout all social media that it’d be weird if the public hasn’t noticed that these people are a significant part of your life. The picture frames in your room, and even back at home, are all filled with smiling candids and stupid poses with the squad. Not to mention, the number of times you’ve used #squad when posting your pictures is incalculable.
  5. You have endless inside jokes and the collection only continues to grow. The funniest memories are always brought back when someone starts with “remember when.” You guys get each other and inside jokes are basically built into your everyday conversations with the squad. Even though you haven’t known these people for long, it feels like you have been friends forever.
  6. You’re annoyed or creeped out by the same people. After all, those who think alike flock together, right? Specific people get on everyone on your squad’s nerves together. Why is that? Sadly, the answer hasn’t been scientifically proven yet, but since the beginning of days, friendships have been formed over shared enemies.
  7. You throw your own kick-backs and parties, and birthday celebrations are not to be missed. No matter how busy college life may get, you always have time to just chill with your squad. Especially when celebrating one’s birthday or achievements, the squad will always make a big deal out of everything.
  8. College has become so much more memorable for you because of these people. Ten years from now, you know that the squad is going to be the groomsmen and bridesmaids at your wedding. You honestly cannot even picture your college experience without these people. They’re possibly one of the best things that could’ve ever happened in your life and they complete you as a person.

Contact Sunny Tsai at [email protected].