How to have the perfect big night

Anna Sapozhnikov/Staff

Believe it or not, this school year is quickly coming to an end. RRR week is in less than three weeks, making finals less than one month away. Some of you are already prepared to sprint toward the finish line strongly, while for others, having to bring that 82 percent to a 93 percent is starting to become a reality. Nevertheless, the end of the year is also a time for celebration, as the school attempts to recreate the fancy dances that we had back in high school. Whether it’s gala, prom or formal, we at the Clog have accumulated a list of tips to make this special night a memorable one.

1. Communication is imperative. From who’s going with whom to the time and place that everyone will be meeting, make sure that each detail is thoroughly communicated with everyone else in the group. You don’t want to have to be calling Bob five minutes before the party bus is supposed to leave to try to find out where he is.
  2. Set a budget for yourself at the beginning. Oftentimes, it’s so easy to get swept into the current with everyone else and do whatever they’re doing. You know your own financial situation and constantly remind yourself to not go overboard. This is a dance, not your wedding.
  3. Give yourself a little extra time to get ready. The last thing you want is to leave your house with only one side of your hair curled, half of your hair gelled and dressed in your PJs. Yeah, definitely not the “attractive” you’re aiming for.
  4. Always have a plan B. Despite how cliche that may sound, it is easily the most overlooked, yet most important, tip. What happens when your date decides to dip last minute, or if the party bus service you were counting on runs out of party buses? Worst of all, what if your dress or tux isn’t ready in time? Anything could happen, so be prepared.
  5. Monitor your own drinking. Without a doubt, we are sure that alcohol will be present at and before each of these events. Despite the temptation of wanting to feel beyond — well, just beyond — you don’t want to pass out before arriving at the scene. Do you really want to spend the entire night holding your hair back above the toilet? We didn’t think so. Moderation is key.
  6. Don’t feel pressured to have to go with a date. Some people do and some people don’t. It’s no big deal. Just like high school, you can always go with a group of friends and have the best time. Dates are neither necessary nor the key to a happy night. But, if you really do want a date, that leads us into our next tip.
  7. Be courageous. Don’t let the fear of being rejected scare you. It doesn’t hurt to ask. We’re in college now, grow up. The worst that could happen is that you won’t be able to show your face in public for the rest of the year. No big deal.
  8. And finally, don’t pressure yourself into thinking that everything about the night has to go perfectly. Let go of these expectations, otherwise, you’ll be so caught up in making sure that everything is going as planned that you won’t even have time to enjoy yourself. At the end of the day, the little quirks and unexpected situations are what really make this night an unforgettable one.

Contact Sunny Tsai at [email protected].