What to do on Cal Day

Rachael Garner/Staff

On Cal Day, the campus is packed with impressionable potential students, glowing alumni, over-eager campus groups and performances. Many take this day to do traditional UC Berkeley activities, such as taking a trip to the top of the Campanile, hanging out on Memorial Glade or touring the infamous Telegraph Avenue. For seasoned UC Berkeley students, Cal Day is just an excuse to party during the day. But there are tons of events happening away from Greek row that may be just as interesting as a sticky fraternity party. Check out this list if you’re looking for something a little less traditional this Cal Day.

Artist and Pop-up Books, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., 210 Wurster Hall, Environmental Design Library

Check out one of UC Berkeley’s most under-appreciated libraries: the Environmental Design Library. This library hosts a collection of architectural pop-up books that are usually locked away in display cases, but just for Cal Day, the display will be open to the public. Get your hands on some cool pop-up books while you can.

Doe Library $1 Book Sale, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., 303 Doe Library

Doe Library’s annual book sale sells more than 4,500 books for just $1 each. In the hidden nook of 303 Doe, every book on the shelf will be sold, so come ready to peruse. Be sure to get there relatively early so you’ll have more books to select from.

Behind the Scenes at the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., 3101 Valley Life Sciences Building

Did you know the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology is home to one of the largest university-based collections of tetrapod vertebrates? Do you want to know what a tetrapod vertebrate is? Featuring around 700,000 animal, reptile, bird and amphibian specimens, this event is not to be missed, especially for animal lovers.

University Gospel Chorus, 3 to 3:30 p.m., Hertz Hall, south patio

After a full day of touring the campus or traversing around Downtown, you might want to take a break and listen to some traditional gospel music performed by our university’s own gospel chorus. The Gospel Chorus, directed by D. Mark Wilson, performs both traditional psalms and contemporary gospel music and has been a prominent group at UC Berkeley since the 1970s. 

Women’s Beach Volleyball: Cal vs. Santa Clara, 4 to 5 p.m., Clark Kerr Sand Volleyball Courts

The indoor volleyball season may be over, but there’s still a chance to see the ladies of the Cal Beach Volleyball team in action. The Women’s Beach Volleyball team is currently ranked 14th in the Pac-12 league, even though the program has only existed for three years, and these ladies sure kill it on the court. Cal Day’s game is their last regular season game before the Pac-12 Championship, so be sure to check it out. 

There are other activities aside from going to frat parties that will allow us to see what makes UC Berkeley such an amazing institution. To find more activities available on Cal Day, take a look at the official schedule. You definitely don’t need to be stuck visiting the Campanile or the Big C. Happy Cal Day, and go Bears!

Contact Gillian Perry at [email protected].