ASUC Senate withdraws contentious bill, passes 2 others at Wednesday meeting

Zach Ryan/File

At its Wednesday meeting, the ASUC Senate withdrew one contentious bill and passed two bills.

CalSERVE Senator Benedict Llave was concerned that ASUC Senate Resolution 78, In Support of Bills, would undermine previously passed resolutions and would not retain the integrity of the ASUC if passed. The resolution, if passed, would make “the sponsors of this bill automatically pass more bills than any other Senator, and therefore automatically become the best Senators, forever, hands down, period, no questions asked.”

• According to SQUELCH! Senator Zoe Brouns, co-sponsor of the resolution, the bill is to be taken as a joke and is not meant to undermine the student government. “I do take this job seriously,” Brouns said. “Past SQUELCH! senators have also proved dedication.”
  • Student Action Senator Andre Luu said that while he was originally against the bill, he now supports it because he does not think the bill will characterize the senate in a negative manner.
  • “(The) real work we do isn’t in this room,” said SQUELCH! Senator Sina Rashidi, co-sponsor of the resolution. “The bill is a piece of paper; it means nothing to us.”
  • Llave said he is unable to laugh at the resolution because of the fact that the [email protected] community will not have representation in the senate for the next academic year.
  • Independent Senator Sumayyah Din motioned for the resolution to be withdrawn, and the withdrawal passed with unanimous consent.

ASUC Senate Resolution 81 amended the ADA Accessibility Fund bylaws by renaming the fund the Disability Inclusion Grant and expanding the grant’s criteria.

• The amended bylaws will make the grant available for disabled students to fund their academic accommodations at UC Berkeley. The grant will also be used to pay for disability accommodations at ASUC-sponsored events.
  • The current limit in the fund is $500 per application, according to the resolution.

ASUC Senate Resolution 82 set a default meeting time for the ASUC standing committees to 7:30 p.m. Monday nights.

• According to ASUC Attorney General Alek Klimek, the primary sponsor for the resolution, changing the meeting times to after 7:30 p.m. would require a two-thirds vote by the entire committee, and changing the meeting times to before 7:30 p.m. would require unanimous committee agreement.
  • “The reasoning is that committee members now know to expect that they will be busy from 7:30 to potentially how long the meeting will last,” Klimek said in an email. Previous to this bill, senate standing committees had no default meeting times on Monday nights.

Jessie Qian covers student government. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @jessieq96.