Watermelon sugar cookies

Sunny Tsai/Staff

Weekend One of Coachella just passed, and there’s no doubt you’ve seen every girl post their watermelon eating pictures on Instagram. There’s better way to enjoy this warm sunny season than to eat these juicy and refreshing fruits. Actually, we at the Clog have upped the game by making these great fruits into forms of cookies. You’ve been warned — once you make these, you’ll never want to go back to the original green and red spheres you find at the grocery store.

What you’ll need: 

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup sugar

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 egg

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

1 tablespoon milk

1 can of buttercream frosting

red and green food coloring

chocolate chips

What you’ll do:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until yellow and fluffy. Add in the egg, vanilla extract and milk. Mix thoroughly.

Sunny Tsai/Staff

Sunny Tsai/Staff

3. Next, add in the flour, salt and baking powder. Stir and mold into a ball of dough.

4. Add in enough drops of green food coloring until the entire ball of dough is green.

Sunny Tsai/Staff

Sunny Tsai/Staff

5. Chill for approximately 30 minutes.

6. Grab handfuls of dough to form into 1-inch balls. Press down to flatten the dough into a flat circle.

Sunny Tsai/Staff

Sunny Tsai/Staff

7. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.

8. While the cookies are baking, add in only a couple drops of red food coloring into the can of frosting. Mix until the entire can is pink.

Sunny Tsai/Staff

Sunny Tsai/Staff

9. When the cookies are done, cut them in half while they’re still warm to form half circles.

Sunny Tsai/Staff

Sunny Tsai/Staff

10. After they cool down, frost them with the pink frosting and add on chocolate chips to form seeds.

Sunny Tsai/Staff

Sunny Tsai/Staff

Enjoy!

Contact Sunny Tsai at [email protected].